What is the big deal about a 3G iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mogzieee, Mar 3, 2008.

1. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Yes, I understand that 3G is "faster" and all that, but my 3G Nokia N73 is nothing at internet speed compared to the 2G iPhone....!?

I see no hassle what so ever in making a 3G iPhone.... it's fast already!

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

And when 3G iPhones are out people will ask if they should wait for 4G phones.. its a never ending cycle. Some people like to be on the latest and greatest just to say they are, others complain just to complain and never buy the product they are complaining about.

It's a phone not a laptop, EDGE is fine for me. If you need something fast pre load it before you get to where you need it.

3. md1626 macrumors newbie

seriously...? there are about at least 100 other posts on this topic. just search and learn....

4. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

3G is a fine thing to want if you live in an area that actually has 3G networks. I don't so I couldn't care less.

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The thought of one being made is keeping me wary of buying one. Just for those situations where it might come in handy. I don't see why it's such a big deal however.

How on earth did we cope before 3G :rolleyes:

Oh btw nice avatar cohibadad :)

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Again, one of the most compelling reasons for 3G is the simultaneous use of voice and data.

You're talking on the phone and they say, can you tell me the restaurant's address? So you say sure, and you pop over to Google maps and get it and tell them over speaker. Without having to hang up and call them back.

Better yet, if they have a 3G iPhone as well, just email the info to them. They can read it and click to see the map while they're talking to you.

7. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Finally!!! After all of the posts and threads that I have been reading for the last 9 months about 3G...This is the most valid and common sense reason for having 3G!!! Not one poster has been able to convince me on the need/benefit for 3G until now and my post prove this. Thanks for a reason to support 3G...WHEN...it comes and not until then.

Well Done!

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Does wi-fi not work when you're in the middle of a phone call?

I understand the differences in the situation, just curious.

9. Federico macrumors member

With EDGE all that you get is aroud 64kb/s, with 3G you can surf at least 400kb/s (up to 1.5mb/s)

If you have 3G you can get other services like VOIP, watch some Tv channels, Online radio, a faster google maps!! etc.etc.etc...

mogzieee maybe you have a N73 with internet but your service is EDGE with your N73 (i'm 99% sure) because is WCDMA2100 (EU band), in USA we use 850/1900 (for 3G HSDPA, not GSM), please let me know if you phone is made in Finland :D

Lot of people complain this and they don't know that a lot of Nokia's are not 3G compatible with US bands (850/1900 for 3G HSDPA)

10. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

11. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

What's the big deal about 3G?...

About 75% faster battery wearage.

12. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Other than the ability to use voice and data simultaneously, 3G is no big deal. I think most people that continually complain about wanting 3G haven't really used 3G. Yes, 3G is faster than EDGE, but some of these people are acting like 3G will give them WiFi speeds through the country. 3G is nice, but not as widespread as people believe. The last I had heard was that the number of 3G users is still well under 10% of the total cell phone usage in the world, so don't let people on here try to convince you that 3G is the most widely used technology.

13. AMoeini macrumors member

AMoeini

Either this is sarcasm, or you honestly have not ready anything else in this thread aside from the title.

14. erickufrin macrumors newbie

You are an idiot. :cool:

15. mogzieee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Replies to various people.

Firstly thanks everyone for the great responses, here are a few replies to people.

Yes, there are posts about 3G, but nobody is asking a question about why it is so important.

Thanks. My phone is made in Finland, yes, but I don't know whether or not it makes a difference but I live in the UK... maybe they have the sme settings as you in the US, but who knows...

Hmmmmm... please explain how so?? I think it's rather a valid question...

16. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Also people fail to realize that 3G is not only data, it also affects
    voice quality. WCDMA has built in noise cancelation. Allows for more people to be on the network without sacrificing quality no more half rate.
    WCDMA uses on full rate.

17. Swedson macrumors newbie

For you guys in The US 3G means nothing yet due to bad service. I think an 3G iphone is more meant for the european och the asian market. I´m from Sweden and the old 2G system is dying. I need a 3G phone to even have service were i live. Data speed is important to! I hook my N95 upp to my laptop and when i hit a major city i have turbo-3G witch means upp to 7.2mbit/s. You can´t even compare that to edge! Witch by the way my operator closed down a year ago!

18. Qwickshot macrumors newbie

3G also only seems slow because they are not fast enough to handle the data, fo instance when my N95 is plugged into my Laptop the pages load so much faster than they do on the phone.

19. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

for techies, it will make a difference but I think for a majority of people out there, the 3G will mean nothing at all. For example, my mom and sister could care less. Sure faster net speed is nice but not like 'omg!!!'

having said that, I also think that this is indeed a bigger deal for the European and Asian market as they have a much more mature network

20. f1 macrumors 6502

Have never touched an iPhone, but my smartphone here in Canada gets MUCH faster speeds on 3G compared to EDGE. A 3G iPhone would be great as your loading FULL HTML pages, it will be blazing compared to EDGE. Also the Youtube feature will work better as Youtube videos streamed over EDGE have serious compression.