What is the big deal about honeycomb

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pinnoks, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Pinnoks macrumors newbie

I don't know about everyone else, but i'm not that big of a fan about the honeycomb os. I much prefer the current ipad os, as i find widgets annoying. I hope that Apple do not change their os to be more similar to honeycomb, because i'm not a fan.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Honeycomb is an Android operating system. iOS is an Apple operating system. They are completely different beasts. Honeycomb is the much-anticipated new release of Android optimized for tablets.

3. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I think OP is saying that there are certain features of Honeycomb that he does not want to be included in future releases of iOS. I agree in as much as I think widgets are unnecessary on the iPad.

4. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

It's faster than Gingerbread, but really this isn't a huge release or anything. I'm not jumping for joy or going even looking forward to seeing it released.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The beauty of widgets is that those who find them useful can select to have them on their desktop to show helpful information.

Those who don't like the idea can select not to use them and leave their screen blank.

Win Win.

6. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Yes that is a good point.
    Given the lack of Apple-approved customisation options so far (i.e. they don't seem to like giving us choices) though I would not be surprised if we never see widgets on iOS.

7. davidcmc macrumors 6502

It has gesture activated multi-tasking. No need to press 2 times a physical button.
    It's got a better hardware that provides better 3D performance.
    It's got a more customizable OS.
    It's newer.

It's better basically because of that.

Unless iPad 2 brings something as good as, Honeycomb will really show Apple how to make a tablet OS.

PS: iOS 4.2 multi-task is a joke. Pressing a physical button twice is very bad and there's no thumbnail view of the app screen. Look for Honeycomb and PlayBook videos on YouTube and you'll know what I'm talking about.

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I just hate the fact that the search screen is unused and that the notification system is intrusive.

9. VTMac macrumors 6502

Except that android renders in software your completely right. Thats right android doesn't use that nice hardware for video buffeting. They don't because android has to scale down to crappy cheap phones that don't have good video hardware. This is why current gen android phones still don't scroll as smooth as last gen iPhone.

10. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Well, that is how they are marketing it as, but it is not. It is just the next os for android. They are revamping the current os to get rid of the bad stuff. At least, this is from the author interviewed at engadget.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I don't think Apple will let iOS follow any Android threads however as a developer I can tell you that Honeycomb is actually pretty good, I miss that "google" integration on iOS since I personally use most of google services.

12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

There is no guarantee of better hardware because there's no single hardware manufacturer. By the time actual hardware hits, the iPad 2 may well be out with comparable hardware. 'Better 3D performance' is vague and misleading. It's up to the content providers to make use of any advanced 3d hardware or API. The fact that it's newer means only one thing: it's newer. It guarantees superiority in no way.

I will concede the point about multitasking. Notifications is another android strong point.

13. msavwah macrumors 6502

Apple needs to take OSX Lion "Back to the iPad"

Add dashboard/mission control. Swipe between full screen apps, gesture to dashboard where you can view and use multiple widgets together, swipe back to "launch pad"

My biggest complaint about the iPad since day one has been that it is too much like an iPod and not enough like an OSX desktop.

I understand they wanted to keep it simple and familiar, but it really needs to evolve.
    Especially if Honeycomb works.
    It is the only thing I have seen that isnt a direct rip off of the iPad.
    It is taking what we learned from iPad, that tablet OS needs to be built from the ground up, but still going for that more desktop like experience.

Everyone else is just copying iPad, just like they did with iPhone.

Honeycomb is on to something. They are innovating.
    Apple needs to continue doing the same.

14. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I think people are kidding themselves thinking that the second iteration of the iPad will be a powerhouse. I will be surprised if the iPad2 specs match the XOOM, for example.

15. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I understand that the activation of multitasking in iOS isn't optimal, especially compared to some of these new UI's. But dude- it works. And it works well.

Here's my take on Apple products: They may not do EVERYTHING that a user wants- they may not do certain things as well as other products out there. But what can always be said is that they do everything well enough. If you want to break down features and look at them individually, then yes, iOS is lagging in some areas. But if you look at the complete picture- "the sum of the parts" (look up gestalt)...then I think Apple will always be at the top. Apple may not be the best at every game at the arcade, but they always place in the top three in ALL of the games.

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The iPad was the first consumer electronic device to use a 1GHz A8 core with a full FPU and also the first on a 45nm process. So too with the iPhone 4 among phones. The 3GS was the second phone to use an A8 core (pre was first by less than a month). Apple has a history of using cutting edge SoCs in their iDevices. No reason to stop now in such a malleable market with large market share up for grabs.

17. davidcmc, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

davidcmc macrumors 6502

Honeycomb running in some tablet (probably Motorola Xoom)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YiXlkiq8Y0&feature=player_detailpage#t=40s
    • Dungeon Defenders running smooth with about 6 apps running in background.
    • User interface so smooth that if you complain about it, then you're an Apple worshipper.

BlackBerry PlayBook
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scS4DQDEEXA
    • User interface very, very smooth.
    • Excelent multi-task with gesture that works exactly how it should work. Practical, simple, no need to press physical button, quickly choose your app that is actually still running, not a snapshop of a minimized app like iOS does with most of it's apps.
    • Quake 3 running smooth with 30+ FPS with some apps running in background, and one of them is a video player with a FullHD/HD video running.

Man, really, I'd like to see an iPad doing that.
    People seem to simply refuse to recognize a superior product that's not made by Apple.

Simple logic:
    1. iPad WAS the best tablet about 1 or 2 months ago.
    2. iPad IS NOT ANYMORE the best tablet in the market.
    3. iPad 2 MAYBE the best tablet in the market when it's launched.

18. iBought macrumors member

19. beg_ne macrumors 6502

Neither the Playbook nor the Xoom are on the market currently. Unless you're seriously contending that the Galaxy Tab is better than the iPad your list is a joke.

Try coming back to reality and get your nose out of stupid spec sheets and BS scripted "previews" of these tablets that won't be out for another 3-6 months.

20. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

Great videos, and as much as I would love Apple to have the iPad 2 (or 3) be anything like the Moto Xoom or BP Playbook, I doubt that it is. Apple has become very "App" based. Apps for iPhone, than iPod, than iPad, and now the iMac. The iPhone has been App based for the past 4 generations, I don't know if it will ever change.

But the Playbook just looks much more powerful than the current iPad, I don't know so much about the size though, it looks a bit small (unless pricing is under $300)

Honeycomb looks really nice, the full web experience, switching between apps, the customization options, it looks really damn good.

Honestly, I think anyone here who hates on these 2 tablets are just being Apple fanboys. I've owned the iPhone and 3G, I've owned a MacBook, currently own an iMac, and plan on buying an AppleTV. I love Apple, but I'm not going to be in denial and not give these 2 tablets the props that it deserves.

It truly is leagues above the iPad. Not sure how much better the iPad 2 will be, because of the mock up 2nd gen looks bad, it really looks like an oversized iPod (this is from just looking at the back, which looks similar to the 1st or 2nd gen iPod), the 1st looks much better.

21. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

Stop being a hater. The Playbook and Xoom just raped the iPad. Yeah its not in release yet, but once it is, it's going to sell like crazy. An don't say that the iPad 2 will be better, how do you know? The 2nd and 3rd Gen iPod touches were whatever, the 2nd and 3rd Gen iPhone was practically the 1st one, just a different design.

22. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Didn't Motolora released the firet table which named Xoom with Android Honeycomb, but the price is about £700.:eek: And prepare to be sold out about 1 million in the first half of 2011. Well, I had to say Good Luck Motolora:mad:

23. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

That presentation looked pretty good. And I've always liked Android. And as I've said many times, more options are always better.

24. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I agree that options are better, which is why honeycomb is compelling. It looks pretty slick and offers options that iOS has put on lockdown for whatever reason.

Having options is one of the reason Apple's whole take on Flash is a little disingenuous. They're stated reason (or one of their stated reasons) is that the effect of Flash on device performance is too adverse for them to want to spend any development time on implementing Flash into iOS. OK ... well it's not like there aren't solutions out there to put Flash on to mobile devices. Serve it up but turn it off by default. At least give users the option to turn it on if they'd like. If performance takes a hit, we all know what the cause is ...

25. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I think they have the potential to be useful. I have the USAToday app, but I've probably only opened it once in the last month so I rarely get the news. I have to consciously think to check when I have my phone out. It doesn't happen often because I never sit around with iPhone in hand wondering how I can use it.

What would be nice if there was a widget on my homescreen with a scrolling list of headlines. That way when I use my phone they would just be there to review without thinking about it. That would be way more useful to me than just the app.