what is the big deal about Montevina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by schmidt190, Jul 9, 2008.

1. schmidt190 macrumors member

is it seriously worth waiting for?
    all i can think of is a faster processor and possibly a case redesign...
    is this all that everyone is waiting for?
    jw
    :apple:

2. hitnrun7 Guest

Dont know if its worth waiting for, might buy at end of july... its really bugging me...

Case redesign i would hate

Montevina is a chipset, penryn is a CPU. Montevina uses penryn but allows for higher clock speeds, faster RAM (DDR3 i think) and a faster FSB.

3. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

I'm waiting
    considering im in no rush
    and i can live with what i have now
    I'll just wait until they release the new one
    that way i will be satisfied in knowing i did the best i can do
    and not buy it and the next week something new comes out

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Seriously telling you...
    Its not Montevina that Im waiting for...
    Its CALPELLA with the blazing new Nehalem processors which for the first time in an intel, bring in onboard Mem controller, ie: no more FSB hassles!
    Calpella is scheduled for Q1/Q2 2009!

5. schmidt190 thread starter macrumors member

F me! i've been waiting since Before last christmas for a MBP.
    Montevina isnt even out yet, and now people are talking about calpella....
    its just so depressing.

and i know that i shouldnt wait, but because i waited,core 2 duo, the 512 nvidia came out, multitouch, 2.6 ghz, and HD update.

the main reason i've been waiting is cuz im collecting funds still, but im not waiting after september, montevina or not.

6. II AndyG33 II macrumors regular

II AndyG33 II

Hahaha
    i've been waiting just as long as you :)!
    but im happy waiting
    and montevina is the longest i'm waiting
    i'm must planning on buying it the day it comes out

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I dunno know about you, but a serious user would sooner buy a machine now, it's more productive for a start instead of wasting time waiting...As with anything technological, something better will uncountably appear, doesn't matter how new or how advance something might be, eventually it'll be dated and superseded, it's all a matter of time. Don't you think?

Personally, I'd love to have a multi-core system with multi-threaded applications, terabyte solid-state harddisks as standard, analogue like digital displays - where the resolution is variable - but the ultimate limitation is the user him/her self... The machine will only ever work as efficient as it's operator. :(

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's the only time Apple changes the integrated video cards in the Macbooks. :rolleyes:

9. iCries macrumors regular

its not like calpella will change **** for the average user, just wait 2-3 years when the GPCPU really makes its breakthrough and countless other technologies also breakthrough.

10. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I completely agree!
    But considering I've no need of a new machine 'RIGHT NOW', I think there's no harm waiting!:)

Yeah and you're right on point again in saying that what's the use for a plain jane no frills office worker to buy an 8 core Mac Pro!

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Ha h ha ha ha. Lol

You only wait if you've got no funds, not much need for a new product or ya know somethings great just around the corner!!!!

You kidding, with that desperation, Montevina or no montevina.... the only thing that would've stopped me from buying a MBP is design change!

12. amcl macrumors newbie

FYI the mobil version of Nehalem is not scheduled until Q3'09, i.e. around this time next year. It is only the desktop that is releasing in the coming spring according to Intel's roadmap. Personally I also wouldn't want version 1.0 of a major platform update like that either. I'm also skeptical of just how big of an overall performance improvement the integrated memory controller will really make atleast in their first few revisions. Don't get me wrong its a cool thing for sure, but AMD for example has had an integrated memory controller (hypertransport) for a long time now.

This coming update is potentially much more significant for the MB than the MBP. They could possibly add a LED screen, improved integrated graphics benching 2-3x faster with beta hw/drivers, aluminum case etc. For the MBP the CPU/GPU/FSB bump is honestly going to be negligible in this refresh. People seem to be hoping for small changes such as a maglatch, some want an updated keyboard some dont etc. Whether those will happen nobody knows.

That said, if you don't really need the MBP immediately but just want it I would hold out. However big or small it may be (nobody really knows) an update/refresh is coming for certain within the next month or two on the heels of montevina.

13. brodeur macrumors newbie

if the macbook gets any better without a serious update for the macbook pro, there will no reason to buy the pro.

14. amcl macrumors newbie

Aye it is definetly starting to get blurry. Though people have wanted the 12"ish PB replacement for years now! ;)

Regardless of what happens with the MB, I really can't see a signficant bump for the MBP. The CPU and FSB bump will be negligible, and there really doesn't seem to be anything signficant happening on the GPU front at the moment either. The slightly larger screen and dedicated graphics could potentially be the only real differentiators. If you aren't buying a laptop to play games on...

They have skipped MB updates in the past, that could happen again I suppose. If they do release the MB with LED and metal in this update I'll be pulling the trigger! :D

15. ManWithhat macrumors regular

And the next Intel release is a shrink of the Nehalem processors. :)

16. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Dude, BUY NOW!, ENJOY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!! Get over kicking yourself in the a** over the latest and greatest.
    I bought a refurb 2.2 MB, best computer I ever had.
    Just updated to OSX 10.5.4 and with 4 GB Ram it's just awesome.
    ;):apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::D Dumped D-Link for an Airport Extreme, and anywhere in my house I'm cooking with 130 MBPS 802.11N. New i-Phone is next week, to compliment the i-Touch, and Christmas a refurb i-Mac, and a refurb BMB when the new ones come out. Left PC's in January 08, and NEVER lookin back!

17. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Yep. Completely agreed with everything.
    But I had a good idea about the launch times (just that it was supposed to be a generalized thread not just for MB/P/(A).

Yes, AMD was the king before the conroe came up and changed things quite a bit. Before e6750, I myself was using 4400X2. I only went to 'e6750' because, like you:), I also didnt trust Intel on it's initial pricing....
    But considering its Apple, I dont think there might be any harm in the first revision itself. They always have their prices fixed!

Finally, when calpella does come out, I'll be buying either an iMac or a MBP (If thats what Apple's still calling them by that time!):D