Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
I understand the flash memory of 8Gb & 16 GB. This I, presume the storage space in ipod touch.

Does anybody know what is the memory eqivalent to the RAM[rapid access memory]in a pc, is put in a ipod touch?

I ask this because the RAM in a PC is to some extent dictates the speed at which one can browse the web pages.

Thanking you in advance for your answers.
snow

Retired
May 16, 2006
128MB of RAM, but this affects how many apps can be open, not the speed of browsing...

snowshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Thanking you psychofreak for that infor.
In your opinion, do you feel if that ever be increased to 256mb or to 512mb to make it more quicker with apps

By the way my 1st ever computer in 1991 windows 3.1,my RAM was only 16mb and I felt then the computer was very quick!! [most then were using DOS!!]

Bowlerguy10

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
At my computer
Ya I couldn't believe the specs of the touch when I saw them a month or so ago. 128 MEGS of ram and a 400+ (now) mhz processor. We used to have like 6 megs of ram now we have many many many times that and along the lines of what a modern computer today would have. Pretty crazy that my handheld multimedia device has about the same processing power of my old laptop.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
The iPod touch runs pretty quickly and smoothly in my opinion. When you first start it, sometimes larger apps like the music app will have slow-downs, but only for the first ten seconds or so. I don't see the need to increase the RAM.

snowshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hi ijawn108,
What is Xeon ipod touch?
Are they to chane the processor?
What price it would be pitched in?
snow

snowshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Oh yes, you "Gotcha me"". Silly me. I put it on my "drink" masked my understanding-if you would belief!!

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
I understand the flash memory of 8Gb & 16 GB. This I, presume the storage space in ipod touch.

Does anybody know what is the memory eqivalent to the RAM[rapid access memory]in a pc, is put in a ipod touch?

I ask this because the RAM in a PC is to some extent dictates the speed at which one can browse the web pages.

Thanking you in advance for your answers.
snow

So you know, RAM is not "rapid access memory" but "Random access memory". RAM does not make a computer run faster, but is a temporary storage area for anything that you are doing on your computer. Programs/documents load from the hard drive to RAM to run. The more RAM you have, the more space to load stuff. This could speed up some things due to the computer does not have to swap from virtual memory (space on the harddrive that holds contents of RAM not being used). As for the touch, I have no idea how much RAM the thing has. I know it is not much.

snowshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hi lostless,
Thanks for correcting. You are absolutely correct, Random Access Memory.
I just could not think the correct word when posting that!! Getting old,That is me!!

ipod touch has 128mb RAM as mentioned earlier,if you have missed it.

cheers
snow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.