what is the cheapest digital camera that will connect to a Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GanChan, Oct 4, 2014.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

I don't own a digital camera or smart device at all (eek!). My ancient LG Cosmos phone will take pictures but refuses to show up on my Mac Mini as an external device, so I can't transfer any pictures I take to the computer. Can you recommend a super-affordable entry-level device that will take photos AND interface with a current-model Mac Mini?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I never connect a camera with a memory card to a computer to download images. The interface is typically slow USB 2 on the camera side. On most modern Macs pull the SD card from the camera and put it into the built in card reader. If the card is a CF type, such as on many DSLRs, get a USB3 reader that UDMA 7 to get max transfer speed. When I used DSLRs that used CF cards, I used Lexar CF cards and the dual slot Lexar card reader.

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, my phone uses mini SD, not standard SD. Maybe my question should be, what do I need to go from mini SD to SD? If I could do then, then I believe I could do what you suggest....

Something like this maybe?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Did you go into Settings & Tools --> Tools --> USB Mass Storage Device?

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Just search around. Tons of places sell SD card readers. Mini format isn't as popular as micro or regular SD, so you may need a mini to regular SD adapter, which allows insertion of the mini into an SD sleeve that then fits into any SD reader. Mini SD cards usually come with them.

That being said, get a camera. Sheesh. eBay is full of really nice little point and shoot digital cameras. I got a refurb'd Canon SX150, a really nice 12x optical zoom camera for a mere $40 with free shipping the other day. Newegg's eBay store usually has lots of good deals on 'em too.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

the mini-SD to SD adapter would be the easiest option.

Another option would be to use Bluetooth. If your phone has BT, then just pair the phone and the Mac. You should be able to access the phone's file structure.

At least using BT would not require buying anything additional and can be used until you get the mini-SD to SD adapter.