What is the cheapest way for me to get an iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by razaac, Jun 25, 2010.

1. razaac macrumors newbie

My first question is, is iPhone 4 available for the no commitment price right now in US?

Second of all, I have a family plan right now, it is the 700 minute nationwide plan and I have four lines in said plan right now. We also have the unlimited messaging for the whole family and no data plan at all.

Now, my question is, if I were to get an iPhone 4, what would be the cheapest way to do so?
    Assume 32GB, $699 for the no commitment? $299 and take the new 2-yr contract? (What is even the new 2-yr contract?)
    Or is there another way I am not aware of? Can I upgrade my current plan with a data plan somehow and get a cheaper iPhone? I don't qualify for the upgrade right now and I don't know if I qualify for the early upgrade.

What is the cheapest way? Or should I just suck it up and shell out 700 bucks?

2. Briview macrumors regular

Okay, I'm not aware of the plan, since you seem to not know if you qualify for the $299 early upgrade... if you MUST have it now, maybe buy it on a new line for a 2-yr contract ($299) and then immediately cancel the contract (ETF: $325) and that alone is just a tiny bit cheaper than the no-commitment i4 (which still requires AT&T monthly usage despite not committed to a contract, but the option that I said... the termination... will get you a glorified iPod touch through which you can most likely insert an iPhone 4 microSIM or a general cut-down SIM of some sort from AT&T). So $299+$325=About $625 which is better than $699 in both financial terms and the commitment terms that I mentioned earlier.

That's as far as I know... sorry if this doesn't help.

3. razaac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!
    How does the early upgrade work? Like, what is it? Do you have to have a previous iPhone to get an upgrade?

And also, if I do what you said, how can I get my current SIM card to be a microSIM? If i take it to an At&t store would they do it for me or would I have to cut it down myself?

4. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

if you want the cheapest get the 16gb...

Also, starting a new at&t contract may prove to be SLIGHTLY less costly than buying at no commitment, + you get a month of service :)

Assuming you have at&t right now go in and ask if you can early upgrade. They will swap your sim with a microsim

5. razaac thread starter macrumors newbie

how does early upgrade work? I mean, I have a voice and text plan right now. Can i keep those and just slap on a data plan?

6. oldschooldude macrumors regular

Based on all the whining/complaining/negtivity that a lot of new iP4 owners are posting in the various threads the last few days, i'd say you could almost get it free - just ask one the disgruntled owners!

And no, I'm not one of those that are unhappy with my new iP4!

7. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Add a new line to your plan, then cancel your old line. $199 plus whatever is left of your old $175 ETF.

8. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

theres ALOT of people who bought this phone, first day alone 600,000 sold. so if youre hearing alot of people complaining theres ALOT more that arent.