Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guitarmaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2014
Over the years I have become more thrifty and have stopped paying full price for things that I want. For example, all of the Homepods I own are used, and I bought my iPad 12.9” and Apple Watch on Amazon for a considerable discount.

However, I really want an iPhone 11 Pro Max as I currently have an iPhone 6 and I want to upgrade, yet it doesn’t seem to be really any deals and I if I buy used it is hard to discern what is actually a good deal.

Apparently Swappa, has a mint used iPhone pro max for $879 AT&T? I don’t know if this is a good deal or not.

Any advice?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Over the years I have become more thrifty and have stopped paying full price for things that I want. For example, all of the Homepods I own are used, and I bought my iPad 12.9” and Apple Watch on Amazon for a considerable discount.

However, I really want an iPhone 11 Pro Max as I currently have an iPhone 6 and I want to upgrade, yet it doesn’t seem to be really any deals and I if I buy used it is hard to discern what is actually a good deal.

Apparently Swappa, has a mint used iPhone pro max for $879 AT&T? I don’t know if this is a good deal or not.

Any advice?

Have you compared Swappas offering to any other outlets in terms of that price point being offered? I wouldn’t look just at the price point, but in terms of Swappa probably being the most ‘reliable’ tech site you can purchase an iPhone from, which I personally would venture away from eBay.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Have you compared Swappas offering to any other outlets in terms of that price point being offered? I wouldn’t look just at the price point, but in terms of Swappa probably being the most ‘reliable’ tech site you can purchase an iPhone from, which I personally would venture away from eBay.

I also give a +1 to Swappa. eBay... not very reliable. You never know what you’ll receive.

Reactions: max2

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
Swappa is certainly worth a try. I've also had good luck with Apple refurbished. They have X and XS available and are brand new condition with 1 year warranty at a heavy discount. X is 599 right now

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I'd never buy a brand new iPhone and never have. The most economical way to live the iPhone life is to:

1. Never buy the current year's model
2. Never buy brand new
3. Never buy directly from Apple

Buy Refurbished
Buy Mint condition on Swappa
Have a relative who gives away old phones

Reactions: nfl46 and Lekro

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
That sounds like a good deal if it's 256GB or more storage. So keep an eye out for the larger storage models because you can often get one for around the price of a 64GB model. People here seem to recommend Swappa as a pretty good place to buy an iPhone. I suggest to stay away from eBay. There are a lot of stolen/lost/unpaid phones on there.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
The deals on marketplace here has some of the best price I seen, if ur patient and not ina rush, you can score some really good deals

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The deals on marketplace here has some of the best price I seen, if ur patient and not ina rush, you can score some really good deals

I second this. And there’s some really reputable members they have ‘long-term standing’ relationships on Macrumors that are very credible. To me, I’d rather pay a little bit more in terms of dealing with an honest member selling a device versus some random digital stranger off of eBay/Swappa that is a higher risk of the product not being ‘as described’, Poor communication, etc.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.