Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
On my desk, I have a 27" iMac Late 2013 next to my gaming pc with a 21.5" ASUS monitor.

The screen quality and design of the iMac makes me feel like I'm using such a horrid screen since the two are side by side.

I am interested in a 27" IPS that could be used for my gaming PC that could match the quality of my iMac.

I have heard of both the Dell Ultrasharp and a cheaper option which is the Monoprice 27".

What would the best option be? I wish there was something as nice as the Thunderbolt Display available for the PC.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm assuming that the TB display is just a Display Port panel + a TB docking solution. Have you tried plugging the TB Monitor into the gaming PC via an HDMI -> DP cable?

Or naturally, the Dell is a good choice, but generally speaking you get what you pay for. Also keep in mind that the extra pixels of the larger monitor may impact gaming performance.

AndrewMRiv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I'm assuming that the TB display is just a Display Port panel + a TB docking solution. Have you tried plugging the TB Monitor into the gaming PC via an HDMI -> DP cable?

Or naturally, the Dell is a good choice, but generally speaking you get what you pay for. Also keep in mind that the extra pixels of the larger monitor may impact gaming performance.

Thank you for your response.

I do not currently own a Thunderbolt display so I would not be able to test it.

Also, that won't be a problem. I have a good graphics card (NVIDIA GTX 660ti) and even plan to upgrade that in a year. I don't play games that are very graphics intensive (mainly play World of Warcraft and other MMOs).

Thank you again

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008

In order for a TB display to function, the source has to have TB which I'll assume the OP's PC doesn't.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
On my desk, I have a 27" iMac Late 2013 next to my gaming pc with a 21.5" ASUS monitor.

The screen quality and design of the iMac makes me feel like I'm using such a horrid screen since the two are side by side.

I am interested in a 27" IPS that could be used for my gaming PC that could match the quality of my iMac.

I have heard of both the Dell Ultrasharp and a cheaper option which is the Monoprice 27".

What would the best option be? I wish there was something as nice as the Thunderbolt Display available for the PC.

Just about all 27" IPS Monitors with a 2560 x 1440P resolution use LG displays just like the iMac and the Thunderbolt. There are some 27" 2560 x 1440P that use Samsung PLS displays, but otherwise as long as it is an IPS it should be the same display. That's not to say that the cheap Korean displays (including the Monoprice) are as good as the Dell (they generally are not).

Woot.com has a 27" HP ZR2740 for only $350 as a refurb today.... Probably about as cheap as you will get that isn't a "cheap korean" display...

http://tech.woot.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.