What is the coolest pet you've ever had? (pics too)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NickZac, Dec 19, 2010.

1. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Coolest pet you've ever had? (or pets). Pictures welcomed.

Green Anaconda-big
    Netherlands Dwarf Rabbit-smarter than most dogs

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I had a Betta fish named Flips when I was about 8. I think he was mentally challenged. He would often start very slowly rotating horizontally as if he was on a rotisserie. Right before he was on his side, he would startle back upright, swim away, then stop and watch himself in the tank's glass until it happened again. He only lived for 8 months.

This is sort of what he looked like, but a bit more red on the dorsal fin.

[​IMG]

3. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

I had some piranha's in my fish tank back in college. In fact the guy i purchased from online still sells 'em and other aquatic related oddities. ;)

[​IMG]

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

My 7 month old German Shepherd named Baby. I was never really a dog person until I got her. She is more intelligent than any other animal I've ever owned. I have taught her to sit, shake, play dead, and attack on command in just over a month.

I got her from the local pound when she was 6 months old. They said she had been in that pound since she was 2.5 months old.

Attached Files:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My dog benny was the coolest pet I ever had. I think the type of animal matters less then the companionship and enjoyment of having the pet in your life.

6. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

This. I used to have 2 pet rats, named Huginn and Muninn(Odin's messengers, from Norse mythology), and everyone was freaked out by them. They liked to ride on my shoulders when I walked. It was awesome.

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I had a cat - just a plain long-hair tabby - that was hands down the coolest little guy I've ever known. I taught him how to open those old-house round doorknobs, open cupboard latches, flush toilets, sit, beg, and Wax-on, Wax-off and Paint the Fence from the Karate Kid. He got cancer and I had to do the last kind thing for him... that was about two months ago. He was almost fifteen and I got him as a kitten. I doubt I will ever, ever know another animal as special as he was.

In many ways he transcended being simply a 'pet.'

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I had a cat that was quite a character. Mister Cool. From the minute I got him as a kitten he was out and about doing his own thing. He was often spotted hanging out at parties and barbecues. He would also accompany me and the dog on long walks.

9. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

By far the coolest pet I've ever had was Akuma, a giant centipede (Scolopendra sp.). It was pretty big, about 25 cm long.

Attached Files:

10. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

NickZac

I use the word 'pet' although there are many, many instances in which a pet transitions into a family member. The companionship is definitely the most important aspect.

My not-so-little rabbit, Lilly, responds to about 30 different voice commands. She is at a point where she is so tame that she is apathetic to people she does not know and very loving to people she does. She is litter trained and she free-roams my house and beats up my dog. She is wickedly smart and frequently outsmarts my not so little Maltese...my rabbit can walk with me and follow me outside without a leash, but my dog cannot. Here's a fact you do not probably know; rabbits make at LEAST 35 different sounds all with different meanings.

Attached Files:

11. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

NickZac

That is CRAZY looking! What does the Akuma eat? Small insects I presume? Judging by the appearance, I am gonna guess they are fast.

12. dllavaneras, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

They are very, very fast. They're also aggressive, agile and venomous (the red appendages are modified legs that are connected to a venom sac), so they should be handled with extreme care.

Their diet consists mostly of medium/large insects, but they'll happily munch on spiders, mice, small snakes/lizards and the like (even bats). Pretty much anything of manageable size with a pulse. I fed it roaches (P. americana, P. australasiae, L. maderae and B. discoidalis, lab raised), butterfly larvae (Brassolis sophorae in particular) and any other large arthropod I could find. In the second image, Akuma is finishing a medium (12cm) katydid. You can see the mandibles chewing on a mid-leg.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But it was praying. :( Is Akuma an athiest??

14. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

The Brad. I'll probably clone this dog when he passes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. eudaimonia01 macrumors newbie

my cat... or should I say panther?

Attached Files:

16. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

This is Terrance, he is a Parrot Cichlid. Unfortunately, I do not have him anymore because the soon to be ex-wife and are separated and the apartment I moved into will not allow me to keep 75 gallons of water in a glass tank. I had to find somebody with enough experience to care for not only the plants but all of the fish as well. Terrance is now living somewhere in a suburb of Chicago. He was the greatest fish, had more personality than the ex-wife. Occasionally, he would lay eggs on a rock (yes, I know that females lay eggs but I refuse to call a fish as cool as him a lady) and get very protective of his pile of grossness. I would get mad when he would attack me when I was feeding him and wipe all of his eggs off the rock just to spite him. He was almost like a dog, he would get excited when I came home from work, would let me pet him when I changed the water. After having him for 6 years I really hope he is doing well. Parrot Chichlid's can live around 10 years if cared well for.

Attached Files:

17. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

OMG, you're SMOKING near a dog??? Don't you know that second hand smoke kills? :D

Man, I hate hearing that! :)

18. iGav macrumors G3

We lost her in February this year. :(

[​IMG]

Now we have more trouble... look into our eyes. :)

[​IMG]