What is the Core2Duo equivalent?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Macaday, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Macaday macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking at getting an 11" MBA 1.6 Core i5, but I need it to run some music software that has system requirements of a 2.0ghz Core2Duo.

Can any tell me if it's fast enough? What are the new Core i5's equivalent to in Core2Duo terms?

Thanks...

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The i5 is much faster than a 2GHz C2D so you will be fine.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Double the rated speed of a Core i5 to get its approximate Core 2 Duo equivalent. There are several factors here. First, the 1.6GHz Core i5 can turbo boost (to 2.1GHz when running both cores). Second, the Core i5 architecture is much more efficient than the Core 2 Duo (it can process roughly 50% more at the same clock speed).

5. surjavarman, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011

surjavarman macrumors 6502a

No, Apple is the only company in the world that would actually use slower processors in their laptops than their previous versions. There is absolutely no run on old MBAs at all and consumers are stupid enough to buy these inferior new products

6. KPOM, Aug 29, 2011

KPOM macrumors G5

You'll be fine with any of the new MacBook Airs.

7. futbalguy, Aug 29, 2011

futbalguy macrumors 6502

Wow, not everyone follows computers for a hobby. Im sure hes thinking its a laptop with a low voltage CPU and hes not sure how it compares since the Ghz listed is much lower than the older Core 2 Duos.

Anyways, to answer the original posters question, Yes the new processors are much faster than a 2.0 ghz Core 2 Duo.

8. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

Yes you'll be fine! Out of interest, what software are you talking about? I recently made the switch to Apple and bought an i5 1.7ghz MBA. I run Ableton and although it was a small set, my CPU usage was 4% on the Air in comparison to the ~25% I used to get on my quad core PC. I was pleasantly shocked to say the least!

9. sktaka22381 macrumors newbie

Don't listen to what he said. He is ignorant and doesn't know what he's talking about.

^That. Clock speed isn't everything, it's just a number people wrap their heads around.

10. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

Why all the downranks? Come on people, clearly sarcasm. I LOL-ed.

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yes it's sarcasm, but it's a bit harsh in response to a genuine question.

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Sarcasm missed.

13. Macaday thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like surjavarman's got the grumps! Didn't catch his reply before the 'insults' were removed but thanks to the rest for the straight answers.

@mopatops - It's Avid Torq, Ableton Live & possibly Logic Pro if I have enough space left. It's gonna be pretty cool having all that going on such a small laptop for live stuff!

14. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

15. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Ignoring your sarcasm - Apple is quite happy to do that with GPUs, so I don't see why it's that far fetched.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

I don't know if "happy" is the right word. They were the last major holdout to use Core 2 Duo chips when everyone else had switched to the earlier generation Core i3/i5/i7, specifically because of the poor performance of the graphics. The HD 3000 is nearly a lateral move in terms of graphics, while the Sandy Bridge processors offer twice the processing speed, so on the whole it was an improvement.