What is the correct YEAR for an MP3 song?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by blackxacto, Jun 20, 2015.

1. blackxacto macrumors 6502

blackxacto

What are other iTune users opinions? If there is only one YEAR per iTunes song:

1. Should it be the original song creator's publishing YEAR?

2. Should it be the YEAR as published by the Cover Artist?

3. Should it be the Apple Reissued YEAR version date?

The reason I ask: if I make a playlist by YEAR is the playlist incomplete and inaccurate?

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Personally, I would never use No 3 on your list. That would make a mockery of musical history.

Usually, I tend to use the year whenever the album (or song) was first released; most of the time, this is under the name of the artist who composed/crafted/created the song in question, and that is what has made the song know, irrespective of who subsequently covered it; occasionally, a cover version will be the better known version.

With classical music, it tends to be whatever year that particular recording of that album occurred.

3. axiomatic macrumors newbie

axiomatic

4. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

So a Beatles tune remastered would not be dated 1965, but 2014? Ain't there something misleading about that?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I tend to use the copyright date from the CD. That means that I'll put the newer year if it's a re-release or "greatest hits" collection. I hadn't even considered setting the year on a per-song basis.

Speaking of years, why are you still using MP3 in 2015? :eek:

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm even looking into finding a way to resurrect my turntable and dust down my (impressive collection of) LPs.

MP3s rock; best invention since the wheel, printing press, and/or internal plumbing.

7. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

I've played the different versions. There are places on the web where one can supposedly hear the differences. Everytime I try these choices, I am astonished how little difference in them. So, big deal, about heavier files and alternatives to mp3. It's a non issue for me.

8. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Even if it's remastered it should still show the original release date of the song. Not the remastered release date.

9. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502

blackxacto

I agree, but it doesn't come that way from Apple iTunes download.
    I started the thread because I wonder if the ID3 tags need two date boxes. Issue and Re-Mastered

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I personally use the issue date. If I get it from another source and it shows a current date, I leave it. If I am ripping the disc myself, I use the original issue of the song/album that is on THAT album.

I don't really search my catalog using dates thought.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes. That makes sense.

In general, I use whenever date the version of the song that I am downloading has.