What is the "Data" portion of a Iphone's Service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theslaz, Oct 21, 2010.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

Just purchased a new Iphone 4 and with that a new service contract. I did not include a provision for "Data" on this phone; thinking that if I wanted to use/send data, I could just use the Wireless (internet) feature of the phone. Of course any "Data" that I use through the 3G network would be billed as extra to me. Am I correct and is this such a good idea; or could I be in for a big surprise when my 1st bill arrives.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I didn't know that you could get an iPhone without a data plan, but even if you where able to, it probably is a bad idea as the iPhone uses data for any notifications in apps, also if you have free apps they will often connect to the internet to show adds.

3. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I didn't either until I changed my plan from a plain dumb phone to Iphone. They just basically upped my plan to accommodate the Iphone.

This is what I'm worried about with this new plan of mine. The more I think about it; the more I realize that it may not be a good idea. Even texting consumes data; not much but it is there. Watching You Tube video's through Facebbook; I think is a prime example. I could be in for a rude awakening at billing time! They are billing me $3.00 for the 1st Mb and $1.00 per mb thereafter. Could turn pretty pricey very quickly! I think they said a 2 Gig data plan would be an additional $15.00 per month. May have to do that. Will wait to see what other people have to say.

4. wvphysics macrumors regular

I am curious as wel as to what country you are in. In most places you are required to get a data plan. As pointed out there are alot of apps that will use data. Now, there a few options, you can turn off cellular data service, but that will also turn off texting, or At least MMS I can't remember. I think in some countries there are some extra settings in the software to turn off cellular data and still allow full texting. You can also jailbreak the phone and use a profile that will only use data on WIFI and still allow all other functions.

5. mattydee87 macrumors regular

Well if you disable data in the iPhone settings, it won't use any and you shouldn't get charged? Stuff through wifi will still work fine though.

6. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

Since when does texting use data?
    MMS's do, but not normal SMS's (unless the iPhone sends texts differently to every other phone in existance).

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You're mistaken that most places require a data plan. Most of the countries I've been to don't, the only one that did was the U.S.

8. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

AT&T shows SMS's as "Messages" in their Data Summary area of the bill, but doesn't charge for these as Data, but rather as Messages per your plan. This may be adding to the original OP's confusion.
    MMS's DO get charged as Data, as does GPS, media, etc.

9. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm from downtown Calgary; Alberta; Canada. The provider is Telus.
    I think I will try the plan I have very cautiously as I will be checking my online bill daily! I'm older ( as in old and grumpy) and I do not and will not use the phone to it's full potential. It will be mainly texting and phone calls. I will use the wireless to surf the internet and do my thing that way. I am just afraid that if I'm not connected via a hot spot; I just may connect via the 3G network; and I don't want that. As a previous poster stated; I will have to do some research on disabling that feature.