What is the Deal with Mac Mail and Multiple Accounts??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikebike125, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I have several different accounts on my mac mail account. The top one is my main account and that one is running properly and goes to the POP account to get the mail without fail.

I have three other accounts for other family members and they all will show a triangle next to the account name and for some reason not be able to check the account. Mail says that the "Mail server denied access to the account because an administrator or other mail client was using it when Mail tried to log in. Please try again later"

I would think that Mail would try to log on one account at a time but maybe I have something set wrong. Is there some sort of setting I need to adjust????:confused:

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If you have an iPhone with the same account on it often the iPhone portion will lock the POP process.

3. osprey76 macrumors 6502

Is the main account that is working with your ISP?

4. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

Don't have an iPhone

The main account works fine. The additional accounts will show the spinning thing next to them and then show the warning triangle saying what I quoted above......

5. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I should have been more specific with my questions. Are the other non-working accounts with your ISP or someone else? I have seen problems before when using email service from someone that is not your ISP.

6. Orng macrumors 6502

That issue usually only affects outgoing mail. a number of ISPs block other smtp (outgoing) mail servers for various reasons, not the least of which is to throttle spammers, but also to make it damned inconvenient for you to use an email address that doesn't advertise your ISP.

For email accounts from providers other than your ISP, you have to change the outgoing mail port from 25 to 500-ish, I can't remember exactly, but its on the web somewhere.

But I suspect this isn't the problem; the problem is no incoming mail. Other than checking your settings, I can't help you!

7. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

Oh, all the accounts are with my ISP.

8. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125