Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big dainjerus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
I am finally ordering a mac pro tomorrow and am wondering whether or not it is worth it to get one of those all in one printers as well. To suit my particular needs first and foremost I need a SCANNER. Are there differences in quality of scanners or is a scanner just a scanner? I would like one to be the best; I am archiving a lot of old photos and newspaper articles etc and I would like to preserve them best as possible.

Aside from that being my number 1, I wouldn't mind a

decent color printer
copier
and fax (in that order), fax being last because although it would be convenient and nice I wouldn't use it as much.

Are all in one printers worse than getting what I need individually? Are they a jack of all trades master of none kind of machine? Am I better off just getting a good scanner and a decent printer and calling it a day?

Any suggestions?

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
There are some folks who would say that the only way to go is having separate devices. And for some, this remains true to a certain extent.....

However, having switched to an AIO last year (mainly due to space constraints of my new apt) I have NOT noticed any real difference in the quality of my prints, scans or copies. And I do ALOT of the same type of work you mentioned.....(I have no need for a fax)

Yes, there are some cheap, lame-a*s AIO's out there that are more convenience-toys than anything else ....but if you are willing to spend between $100-200, you CAN get several very high-quality machines that will serve you well......

I tested about 15 before I bought one :p

OlBlueHair

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Understand resolution and knowing how to correct images on the worst scanner ever will get you better results than the best scanner with no knowledge...so I would get the AIO, I have a Pixma MP500 and it's great, and spend a couple days getting to understand the correct way to do things.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Faxing is built in to OSX and it saves paper ;)

To take advantage of this, is anything needed other then a USB modem on the newer Macs without built in modems?

If I plug in the USB modem will "Fax!" suddenly appear as a print option or something?

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
I have a Brother color laser and a brother all in one laser. The later is B/W but the scanner scans in color. If you are going to get an all in one may I suggest you be sure to get a laser unit, of any brand. I have had horrid luck with HP ink jet all in one units, at the very high end. Useless poop.

Good luck and enjoy your new mac.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
I use a Canon MP830 AIO, and I love it.
The scanner is top quality; scan and fax b/w or color.
The photo prints are great.
It's not small, but it is just one device.
I also purchased a small attachment that allows me to print on printable cds and dvds, which is necessary in my business.
All in all, I'm very happy with the device.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Smurf, which AIO did you get?

I ended up getting an Epson CX74xx......... A) because I was already familiar with their drivers and software options from previously having several of their printers, B) because my bro has a BustBuy CC and used his rewards points so I didn't have to pay very much for it, and C) because it does everything I need it to do and I liked it's size & appearance :eek:

And FYI......traditional faxing STILL requires a (56k) modem, either int or ext, AND a phone line to plug it into......:eek:

FYI #2: Do N*O*T buy an HP AIO....... been there.... done that....NEVER again !

big dainjerus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
And FYI......traditional faxing STILL requires a (56k) modem, either int or ext, AND a phone line to plug it into......:eek:

FYI #2: Do N*O*T buy an HP AIO....... been there.... done that....NEVER again !

Yeah I was actually laying in bed thinking about this. In the place I live in I don't have a phone line just my cell phone so I guess fax is out, but no big deal. So looks like my needs are :

1. Scanner
2. Color Printer
3. Copier

Still trying to decide if I should go for the AIO or get a good scanner and then maybe a decent printer...ughhhh :confused:

But at least it looks like HP is out of the question. All the reviews I have been reading online pretty much go for epson.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.