What is the default SIM card that comes with iPhone for? (AT&T)

iHavequestions

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
I'm swapping my SIM from my old phone to my new 6plus. I did not expect to see a SIM card in the new phone when I popped out the SIM card holder. What is the purpose of this SIM card that comes with the phone? Do I need to include it when I sell the old phone? Just wondering if there's any value in keeping it.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
It's for people that were upgrading from a phone that had a different size sim.

It's unactivated so no harm in keeping it as a spare in case you lose your current one.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Yeah it just comes with one for in store activation. when I got my 6+ at the store, I was expecting to swap sims, but looking down at my 5S before I left, there was no service. Sure enough I turned on the 6+ and saw it was already set up to my ATT account.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
It's for people that were upgrading from a phone that had a different size sim.

It's unactivated so no harm in keeping it as a spare in case you lose your current one.
Good idea, never thought about this. You could then use it to activate at a later date since it was never activated.

It's important to note that you can only have one active SIM on the network (at least with AT&T), so if you activate the new iPhone with the new SIM, your current iPhone will stop working as that SIM will be "killed"

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Good idea, never thought about this. You could then use it to activate at a later date since it was never activated.

It's important to note that you can only have one active SIM on the network (at least with AT&T), so if you activate the new iPhone with the new SIM, your current iPhone will stop working as that SIM will be "killed"
"killed" is actually a very good word; once this happens the SIM can never be used again. I tried to activate an iPhone using a previously deactivated SIM on a new line once and they said they couldn't use the old SIM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.