What is the default SIM card that comes with iPhone for? (AT&T)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHavequestions, Sep 25, 2014.

1. iHavequestions macrumors regular

I'm swapping my SIM from my old phone to my new 6plus. I did not expect to see a SIM card in the new phone when I popped out the SIM card holder. What is the purpose of this SIM card that comes with the phone? Do I need to include it when I sell the old phone? Just wondering if there's any value in keeping it.

2. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

It's for people that were upgrading from a phone that had a different size sim.

It's unactivated so no harm in keeping it as a spare in case you lose your current one.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Yeah it just comes with one for in store activation. when I got my 6+ at the store, I was expecting to swap sims, but looking down at my 5S before I left, there was no service. Sure enough I turned on the 6+ and saw it was already set up to my ATT account.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Good idea, never thought about this. You could then use it to activate at a later date since it was never activated.

It's important to note that you can only have one active SIM on the network (at least with AT&T), so if you activate the new iPhone with the new SIM, your current iPhone will stop working as that SIM will be "killed"

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

"killed" is actually a very good word; once this happens the SIM can never be used again. I tried to activate an iPhone using a previously deactivated SIM on a new line once and they said they couldn't use the old SIM.