What is the definitive Leopard book out there?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmFightSpam, May 29, 2008.

1. jmFightSpam macrumors regular

Is it "Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual" by David Pogue?

Are there other recommended books?

Thanks.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yep - the Missing Manual is by far the best general-purpose book out there, going from the basics through to some fairly advanced stuff.

Unless you need something seriously advanced, then it can't be beaten - I've recommended it (and previous additions) to many new Mac users over the years...

3. freddyaudiophil macrumors newbie

While it is not really a "definitive" book, I would recommend "Switching to the Mac" by David Pogue as well. With 20+ years as a PC user under my belt (and many years as a enterprise network admin), I was not ready to read a "Mac for Dummies" type book. However, I found the Switching book by Pogue to be to-the-point for those that know PCs inside and out. It clearly laid out the key differences between the Mac and the PC. After a quick read of that, I was off and running on my new iMac. It certainly helped me.

I have the Leopard Missing Manual on order... :)

freddy

4. jmFightSpam thread starter macrumors regular

I am coming from the Windows world....

Do you recommend owning both the Missing Manual and Switching to the Mac books? Or will the Missing Manual suffice?

Thanks.

5. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I have both the Sams teach yourself Mac OS X Leopard all in one and the Mac OS X Leopard edition : the missing manual. I like David Pogue so I am kind of biased towards him. I have read more of MM than Sams so I would suggest MM. But hey, libraries are great, check them both out, then hop to Amazon.

6. Tonerl Guest

I switched at the end of December and bought the Leopard version of The Missing Manual when it was released. I've not needed anything else: it's comprehensive, written clearly, and mostly avoids the usual "humorous" comments.