What is the Difference between a lens that says AL and one that says AF?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SolracSelbor, Jan 7, 2008.

1. SolracSelbor macrumors 6502

I noticed that Pentax kit lens is an Pentax Zoom Super Wide Angle SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL im not sure it means auto focus lens because there is no manual switch on the lens to turn off the auto focus. I just got this lens in the mail and i still havnt gotten the body so i dont know if it indeed has autofocus or not.

2. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

The AL designation means that at least one of the lens elements is aspherical. That lens is autofocus, the reason it has no switch is because it is a screw driven lens, the automatic/manual focus switch will be on the camera body. If you ever get a "SDM" pentax lens or what ever the other 3rd party makers call their lens driven AF, those lenses will have a switch on them to shut off the in-lens autofocusing motors.

Hope that helps, what body did you order? Great choice to go with Pentax!

SLC

3. SolracSelbor thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help man! I ordered a K10D model off of beach camera. Im kinda ticked off though because Fedex says that it will arrive on Jan. 9th, 2008 but I live on a college dormitory and since it is winter session the main office is only open from 10am-noon. Meaning that if it doesnt come in by that time I will have to wait the next day, but I am going on vacation that day. Do you know if fedex will let me pick it up myself? Or maybe if i stand in front of the door they will let me sign for it?

4. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Fedex will usually let you pick things up yourself, just give em a call and see.

Bwoods

5. Macerture macrumors member

Macerture