What is the difference between Apple Macbook Pro with others like Toshiba, HP, Sony ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bursabaju, Jun 26, 2009.

1. bursabaju macrumors newbie

What makes Apple product different with other brands such as Toshiba, HP, Sony notebook?

And how about their software for picture editting? which software is better than Adobe photoshop?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Bursabaju.com - Indonesia

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It isn't so much the hardware, although Macs have excellent aesthetics, it is the Mac OS in contrast to the Windows OS

And Photoshop runs on the Mac

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. PenguinPower macrumors member

PenguinPower

AS was mentioned, just the OS and case design.

However, any will run photo shop so I am not sure why it was mentioned when contrasting. Of course...you can TRY to run CS3 in Wine, but I don't recommend it.

4. qacjared macrumors regular

Macs are what PC's would be if the PC world was not driven by penny pinching, profit margins, and squeezing the lowest price product to the most amount of people no matter the quality. A mac is a computer of hardware and software designed to work together in a seemless way, not hardware and software designed and outsourced to many different companies and countries to get save the most money.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Workflow does matter to some people between Windows and OS X.

You might want to look here.

Have you taken a look at Apple's profit margins on hardware over other vendors as well? How do you have a high profit margin if you're in a race to the bottom on price?

6. PenguinPower macrumors member

PenguinPower

<.< .... >.>

[​IMG]

Me thinks compal, foxxconn, msi, asus and clevo are sad you insulted them so. Besides, ASUS makes PCs and is the OEM for the macbook models.

7. qacjared macrumors regular

It's not Kool-Aid. It's economics.

PCs more or less all have windows and similarly designed hardware that is generally just of the shelf components. Therefore they have to compete on price and not design.

Apple however has its own operating system and competes on Software and User Interface, and because it has comfy margins it can spend R&D money on design.

It's this difference in economics that allowed Apple to create the iPhone. It's also why in the 90's when apple was thinking about money, didn't have an OS that wasn't that much better than Windows, and wasn't able to compete its design that it ran into a brick wall. The iMac did compete on design, not dollars, as had every mac since. Which is why they sell well.

They still run windows and use generally off the shelf parts and the same basic computer design. They compete on price. Asus my be the OEM for the MacBook but they don't design them, nor write OS X.

Tho I do want to make sure that you know I understand design isn't everything. The cube and the iPod Hi-Fi proved that. Price matters, but design it what sets things apart. What is unique has value. What has value sells.

8. PenguinPower macrumors member

PenguinPower

You are right that kool aid isn't economics, its reference something else.

If it's purely economics, you would understand that apple does not have any competition(And any clone makers that crop up are sued into the ground), therefore doesn't have a constraint on lowering the price closer to to build cost. Its going to charge whatever people are willing to pay...of which will be higher since they are the singular source for their OS. Minimization of their production costs to raise an already high profit per unit is what drives them.

Asus makes the mainboards. They design them for apple. They use capacitors, resistors, chipsets, transistors, regulators, GPUs, off the shelf...just like they do to make any main board for any "platform".

Its not that it spends on style because it has money left over, its because it advertisement group is one of the best in the world and it is necessary for product differentiation on a level more than simply OS.

9. bursabaju thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replies.

Is there any better graphic design software that especially made for mac, which is better than adobe photoshop?

Thank you again.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In my opinion, there is no graphic program better than Photoshop
    You can use the Gimp (it is free and runs on the Mac), and it is somewhat Photoshop-like
    Or you can use Pixelmator (cheap)
    But nothing compares to the power of Photoshop

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As others have stated, OS and case design. The OS is completely worth the $$$ IMO.

As for photoshop its pretty much the best out there for image editing, now, if you want something specific to raw workflow, have a look at Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperature. I've never used Aperature enough to comment on it but Lightroom and Photoshop work well together.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To repeat, as others have said essentially case design and OS system are the key differences. I switched over a year ago to Mac and have a MBP which is a beautiful computer, easily the best I have ever owned.

Having said this, prior to that, I had owned a Sony and a Toshiba, and both were very good; Toshibas are well made and Sony products are very nicely-designed, so in truth, it was more the OS rather than the computers that annoyed me. At work, (I'm in an emphatically Windows working environment at present - so Windows specific that I cannot even access my work emails from my Mac when on leave, though I can from the virtually new Sony which I gave to my brother) I use a HP, which is also a sturdy well-made computer.

Apple also boast an excellent customer service reputation which was another one of the main reasons I switched; two iPods of mine died (battery issues) while within warranty and both were replaced immediately, without seeking refuge in contractual small-print.

Cheers and good luck