Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sowlerrmgh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Hi,

I was just wondering what the difference between Google Desktop for Mac and Spotlight is?

Is it worth downloading Google Desktop?

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
I know that it can search your GMail etc.

On the Google Mac blog they talk about how hard they worked to make it a real mac-like experience. But one of the best aspects of the Mac experience is the level of integration - so I would have loved a GMail spotlight plug-in instead (or at least as a choice).

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I know that it can search your GMail etc.

On the Google Mac blog they talk about how hard they worked to make it a real mac-like experience. But one of the best aspects of the Mac experience is the level of integration - so I would have loved a GMail spotlight plug-in instead (or at least as a choice).

my gmail gets downloaded through the mail.app anyway, so i can spotlight my mail just fine. other than that, i can't think of a reason why i'd want google desktop over spotlight.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Or read what others who have tested it found (here).

those has nothing to do with functions, rather he was complaining google didn't use drag and drop style installation, but AFAIK, photoshop CS3 has complicated "non standard installer" too. and palm too, which, for obvious reason.

I don't like it, but mac users will have to face it, nowadays, more and more softwares will install themselves into more and more locations, its just the way it is.

functions:

GDS does search browser history, while spotlight does not(seems). this is the finding i have so far, after 5 minutes of usage.

another one, your google homepage will have a link to GDS search, safari seems does not have it, but firefox does
picture1tk0.png

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
it also keeps a cache of "deleted" items so i you delete a file it will still show up in the search results. The deleted file can then be viewed (in safari). Tried twice first time with a .rtf worked perfectly. Second time it didn't work, .jpg

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
it also keeps a cache of "deleted" items so i you delete a file it will still show up in the search results. The deleted file can then be viewed (in safari). Tried twice first time with a .rtf worked perfectly. Second time it didn't work, .jpg

huh, make me worry my diskspace. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.