What is the difference between iBooks, The NOOK app and the amazon kindle app?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by felixroqu3, Mar 17, 2012.

1. felixroqu3 macrumors regular

felixroqu3

2. Brammy macrumors 65816

No. They allow you to read books purchased from each of those stores. You can't directly* read an Amazon book in iBooks.

*There are tools available to strip the DRM from most ebook retailers.

3. celinedion1 macrumors member

From personal experience the only one's i've tried is ibooks and the kindle app. Between those two I prefer ibooks, because it's more user friendly. I love being able to have all my books, and the ibook store all in the same place. With the kindle app you have to buy the books from amazon, can't buy them from within the kindle app. Or at least I never found a way to do so.

ibooks i think is a little more expensive then the kindle books, and they don't have as many to pick from. Even with those minor flaws I still prefer it, and it of course goes with iTunes. :) I love having all my media in one spot, very convenient. :apple:

4. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

As an avid reader with over 300 books in iBooks I prefer it to all of the others. For me the interface is better and it feels more like a real book (page turning, fonts) compared to the Kindle or Nook App.

That being said I don't buy all my books from Apple but I convert them to epub so I can easily have them in one place in iTunes and read them in iBooks.

5. felixroqu3 thread starter macrumors regular

felixroqu3

Where do you get your books and how do you convert them?

6. matt84uk macrumors newbie

You used to be able to but Apple changed the rules to ban it to stop people buying the books that are on both from Amazon rather than ibooks for less.

You can still go to Amazon from safari, buy the book and when you press deliver it opens the Kindle app and downloads it :)

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

You can get them from anywhere that sells ebooks and calibre is a great software that converts them fast and easy.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

You can get the page turning effect in the Kindle app. They are both fine apps, but in the end, the selection for Kindle books is vastly superior to that available for iBooks and it's cross platform if that matters to you (it does to me because my family has both Kindles and iPads).

9. ljmjag macrumors member

I agree. The selection in the Kindle app is so far superior to the selection in iBooks that it makes it a no-brainer. Plus the books in the Kindle app are generally less expensive than the books in the iBooks app.

10. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

If I buy the book, I generally buy it for Kindle, because often they're $1 less than iBooks.

For my own books (books I downloaded myself, or de-DRM'd), I read in iBooks.

My paid library I tend to keep on Kindle just so they're on one platform, but I have purchased the odd one or two books from iBooks in the past. Generally if they're "my" books, I use iBooks, if they're books I bought that are new releases, I use Kindle.

I don't use the nook app at all - I figure if I'm buying books for a platform, I may as well keep them all on the same.

11. Djay1 macrumors member

I have moved away from Nook due to their resistance to installing an adequate dictionary. It seems to be of typical pocket dictionary depth.

Not an issue if one sticks to light reading or if one has a deep vocabulary I suppose. :eek:

12. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I have both iBooks and Kindle apps. I also use Overdrive to get and read library books.

I prefer Kindle because of the vast number of books through Amazon. They also have $.99 specials all the time and one can discover hidden treasures.

But, I also prefer iBooks for the incredible real feel. A funny story to illustrate: I read in bed, in the dark. App looks just like a book does if you have iPad in landscape. One night I became really sleepy and I tried to close the book just like I would a regular one. I almost snapped the iPad in half! Woke me up and didn't sleep for a good two hours afterwards :).

Enjoy your reading...it is magical!

13. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I use calibre for converting. I get some books from Amazon but not all.

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

when I first tested them when I books came out ibooks lacked a lot of basic features. one I remember is no night mode. that finally happened after a long time. that made the app useless to read in beds. the kindle app is simple works well. Apple can be blamed on killing the kindle app from buying books.

15. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

I use both the Nook app and iBooks for my reading. there are some books that I have tried to get through iBooks and couldn't find them but they were available via BN's Nook. I love reading through iBooks because of the page turning effect but the Nook app isn't all bad either.

16. Rafterman macrumors 68000

The only difference is who you decide you want to give your money to.

17. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I buy more for Kindle these days because I have my iPad Kindle app synced to the same Amazon account as my wife's Kindle. That way we can read the same books if we want.

I downloaded the Nook app last night because they have a magazine subscription on there that I'm interested in--it's not retina ready yet.

18. Kendo macrumors 68000

I prefer Kindle since I can access my books on my actual Kindle along with the Kindle app on my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air.

I can read them anywhere and everywhere.

I do not believe you can access iBooks directly on a computer but I can do it from the cloud on Amazon's website.

19. pettifogger06 macrumors member

I've had a couple iBooks download that were entirely corrupted. Like, missing 20 of 25 chapters corrupted. I know a few others had the same issue with those books. To date, Apple hasn't fixed it for me, and it is becoming my first bad Apple CS experience.

I like iBooks, but I'll probably stick with Kindle for simplicity.

20. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I downloaded a book for Kindle and then found it was also available for iBooks so I downloaded for iBooks. I was surprised that it had color illustrations in iBooks.

21. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Kindle. I own a kindle and it is far superior to read in daylight than an iPad. Plus I don't like being tied to one platform as you are with iBooks. Kindle is available on different mobile platforms, pc and their devices. And everything stays in sync between them.

22. calb macrumors 6502

iBooks is a much better app, but the Kindle store has more variety and often lower prices. I don't have a Kindle so the platform concern is a non-issue for me, but I'd still appreciate an iBooks app/reader on OS X.

23. Davydd macrumors regular

You can do the same with Apple iBooks. All you have to do is set up your two iPads to share one Apple account under Store in the Settings. You can still have separate iCloud accounts so bookmark syncing is different.

24. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I know, but she doesn't do books on her iPod and doesn't have an iPad. She reads her Kindle, I read the Kindle app.