What is the difference between Logic Studio and Logic Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tigercat212, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Tigercat212 macrumors regular

Does anybody know what the specific differences are between Logic Studio and Logic Express?

Also, is there any place where I can get Logic Studio for cheaper than the $499 retail price? The cheapest place I found I was at MacMall for only $49 cheaper. Can anybody find anyplace cheaper, preferably around $350 or lower?

Thanks so much!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Typically Logic Studio comes with the jam packs that would otherwise run you quite a bit more to buy separately. If you're coming from GB then studio may be unnecessary for you and quite daunting.
    Also know that much of what you may do would be in Logic Express anyway. They share a lot of the same functionality.

3. Tigercat212 thread starter macrumors regular

Since Logic Studio was updated today, I'm assuming that there are not the new features in Logic Express, right?

Also, is there a cheaper place to get the new Logic Studio?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The new Logic Express is on pre-order right now...

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Logic Express, Logic Studio, Final Cut Studio, and Final Cut Express (85% sure on that one) were all updated today.

No, as with almost all Apple products, the price you see is the price you pay.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Studio is a much bigger beast. Not only does it have entire extra programs such as Soundtrack, but its built in synths and effects are far more configurable and diverse. As mentioned by jessica you also get the Jam Packs built in, but even without those it's still worth the extra.

Express in the meantime uses the same interface and structure as Studio, so it's a big upgrade over Garageband, with better MIDI, mixing, etc. You can get fantastic results out of it, but it's aimed at hobby musicians rather than pros.

7. Tigercat212 thread starter macrumors regular

But in Logic Express, there is no ability to listen to it in real life spaces or playback, right?

Wait, I'm a bit confused! With the videos on the Logic page, they always say, "In Logic Pro 9..." Now, this would include Logic Studio but also Logic Express, right?

So, in the new Logic Express, will I get the ability to flex time and flex edit, as well as perform with playback and use the stompboxes and amp designer?

Will I also be able to able to use all the stuff featured on this page (http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/plug-ins/) with Logic Express or do I need to get Logic Studio to use these things?

Can someone please help me? :)

8. mrpinkwhistle macrumors newbie

Cheap apple products

Actually it is possible to get an educational discount, which is quite substantial, I got Logic Studio 8 when it was new for £120 compared to close to £400. So if you're at uni then use their computers to access the apple store, then click on the education store link, then select the campus you are on (you have to actually be on campus when you access it). If you're not at uni then I'm not saying one should do this but you could get someone you know who IS at uni to order it for you... or alternatively ask a uni if you can briefly use their computers. Not saying ya should but it is a massive saving.