what is the difference between moble racks & external enclosures for hard drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have seen icy dock external enclosures & mobile racks, which are less expensive, what is the difference?

& would a mobile rack work for connecting to my macbook pro & for swapping out 3.5 in hard drives as I backup & exchange files?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Not exactly sure what you mean by "rack." Is it one of THESE? I find them pretty stylish :). Functionally, there's no difference between that and an enclosure. They work the same way.

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. simsaladimbamba

[​IMG]
    The above is used for a desktop PC of a certain type/series and can be connected to any Mac via USB or Firewire.
    A dock is a better solution if you have many S-ATA (2.5" and 3.5") HDDs flying around.
    Enclosures are also good, but the constant swapping of HDDs with one enclosure might be a bit too much.
    I have currently 6 2.5" HDDs in five USB enclosures and one Firewire 800 enclosure, then I have two 2.5" HDDs in FW800 enclosures and one FW400 enclosure for some other S-ATA HDDs I have.
    It works quite okay for me.

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the info, what dock are you using? the only concern I had with a dock was that my hard drives might be exposed to some dust, & if I found I had to use one of my bare hard drives on a computer without the dock it would be awkward, are there some docks that are portable? some of them look a bit bulky.

6. simsaladimbamba

I don't use a dock. only enclosures.
    You could also look into something like this, as docks are quite bulky.

7. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you, this looks just as good as a dock, would this work if I had to do an overnight back up of a drive connected with one of these kits?

and if I did, where would be a safe place to sit the bare drive to keep it cool while doing a backup?