What is the difference between the current and last gen AEBS's?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by toffa813, Jun 14, 2010.

1. toffa813 macrumors regular

I'm looking at getting a new wireless router and was looking at the refurbished Airport Extremes and noticed the old one seems exactly the same as the new one, but its $20 cheaper. The only thing I noticed is that the new one isn't compatible with Tiger. So which one should I go with? I have a new MBP, a 2008 iMac and a Toshiba Satellite laptop on my network if it matters.

And/or if you have any suggestions on non-Apple routers that are really easy to use that would be helpful too. But I'm leaning towards trying to convince my dad to get an AEBS since I'm off to college in the fall and nobody in my family has any clue about networking/computers in general.

EDIT: Here's the link to the refurbished accessories page: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_accessories

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

If I remember right in the new one the antennae are placed differently to allow faster access.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Greater range and faster Time Machine backups (up to 60%). The internals are different as well since the new ones are the only ones that have the 7.5 firmware.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Does previous generation have guest networking?

5. toffa813 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it does