What is the difference between the HDR displays on the X vs 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eagleglen, Sep 22, 2017.

1. eagleglen macrumors 65816

eagleglen

The description on the playback capabilities between the two phones is slightly different. The iPhone X is capable of "High Dynamic Range with Dolby Vision and HDR10 content". The 8 says "Supports Dolby Vision and HDR10 content". Also Apple says the X is an HDR display, were as with the 8's, it doesn't. Is this a real difference or just conflicting marketing jargon?

Thanks.

2. mwhals macrumors 6502

mwhals

It is due to the X having an oled screen and the 8 having an led screen. The X has the better screen.

3. MattXDA macrumors 6502

MattXDA

Why does the 8 support HDR when the 7 doesn't?

4. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

Confused by this as well. I'm guessing, similar to the TV market, you can get HDR on cheaper UHD TV's but they only have 8 bit colour space screens, and therefore cannot display the full benefits of HDR. Now, the higher end UHD TV's tend to have 10 bit colour space screens and so can display many more colours and shades and so support HDR but some refer to this as 'True HDR' as HDR10 is a 10 bit format, compared to Dolby Vision (another HDR standard/format) which can support up to 12 bit colour.

Therefore, the iPhone 8/8 Plus display the HDR but in 8 bit instead of the iPhone X True HDR display at 10 bit.

Again, I'm guessing, but it'd make sense.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I imagine the iPhone X supports more then 95% of the DCI P3 color space and is therefore HDR compliant, and that the iPhone 8 is below that threshold. It will still display HDR content and look better than the iPhone 7, but not to the same extend of the iPhone X.

I guess we will know when people analyse the iPhone 8 screen properly, which shouldn't take long.