What Is The Difference Between The Intel Chips In The MacBook And MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Secret Spectrum, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Secret Spectrum macrumors newbie

Secret Spectrum

Hello Everybody,

As you know, the WWDC 2017 has just been and Apple have updated the processors in all their Macs. But I noticed that there are new "Intel Core i5" and "Intel Core i7" upgrades available for the MacBook. I also see Intel Core i5 and Intel Core i7 options for the MacBook Pro 13" Model. The only difference I see is the clock speeds, but that shouldn't matter.

I have read that the MacBook ones are just re-branded Intel Core m3 processors, but I'm not really sure.

Thanks for your help!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Best thing to do is find the Mac you're looking at on http://www.everymac.com/. This will list the specific CPU model.

Then search the CPU model on http://cpubenchmark.net/. As a rule of thumb, the higher number means better performance. This should give you an idea which CPU is the most powerful and the percentage difference between them.

3. Qu1ckset macrumors regular

Qu1ckset

2017 MacBook uses Intels low power Y-Series chips like the 2015 and 2016 but they changed it from M3-M5-M7 to M3-i5-i7 which is confusing for some uninformed customers.

But the MacBook Pro uses U-Series chips , much better then the Chips the MacBook uses

4. Appleaker macrumors 68000

And yet more confusion caused by the rebrand. It's like the difference between the core i7 in the iMac and the Core i7 in the MacBook Pro.
    The processors in the 12" MacBook are the same series as last year, so are 5W chips but they have been rebranded by Intel.

5. Secret Spectrum thread starter macrumors newbie

Secret Spectrum

Unfortunately, the 2017 MacBook is not listed in EveryMac.