Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Aren't they exactly the same? I see them advertised as new, but they look exactly the same to me.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Aren't they exactly the same? I see them advertised as new, but they look exactly the same to me.

I am using last year's, no difference from what I can tell. It remains securely connected to the Air 2 with the magnets and no problem with the folds for standing up.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
OK. I was wondering why they were advertised as the New Covers.

They say they're available in NEW VIBRANT COLORS. But they look exactly the same to me.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
The consensus seems to be that the new ones are identical, save for different packaging and colors. I'm not sure though. I'm using my old Smart Cover on my Air 2, and it doesn't seem to fit quite as well. I mean, it does work, but it doesn't stay centered on the screen quite as well as it did on the Air 1.

FWIW, YMMW, ETC ETC

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I just ordered a yellow Smart Cover on eBay 19.95, less my eBay Bucks, $14. Also ordered a Luvitt Dolce Softskin from Amazon. That should do just fine until more cases become available.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
I'm using the iPad Air Smart Cover and it fits perfectly. It's much more than compatible.

I don't know if the new one is different, though.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Anyone have the new ones to see if there is a difference?

BestBuy.com is showing two part numbers: old ones are on clearance and new ones regular price.

If all I'm saving is a few dollars (in my case $2), then I want the new one.

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I just ordered a yellow Smart Cover on eBay 19.95, less my eBay Bucks, $14. Also ordered a Luvitt Dolce Softskin from Amazon. That should do just fine until more cases become available.

Also planning to re-use my iPad Air Smart Cover based on the statements here that they fit the iPad Air 2 just fine. I liked the Luvitt Dolce Softskin a lot on my iPad Air so I'm getting the same for the iPad Air 2 that I'm replacing it with next week.

BTW, I'm only upgrading because I have a 16GB and need higher capacity for work and app development...

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
iPad Smart Covers Now Sold in Apple Stores Not Fitting iPad Air 1?

My iPad Air 1 smart cover looked like it needed replacing so I bought a smart cover from the Apple store near me but when I took it home and tried it out, the cover would stay propped open at the center. The thing would not stay closed flat like my old smart cover.

I went back to the Apple store today and the geniuses there told me to try out any cover I wanted but none of 10 or so variations of colors I tried on fit. The Apple genius told me that I would have to go online to buy a cover that fits.

It looks like Apple has modified all in-store iPad Air smart covers to fit the smaller build of the Air 2, so the magnets on the Air 1 are misaligned, hence the poor fit. It is really strange because on the same shelves of the iPad Air 2 Smart Covers are the Smart Covers that fit iPad 2.

LmnL

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2014
I have both versions, last year's and this year's (having just upgraded from the Air to the Air 2 and not yet resold my old iPad and cover). The covers are actually not identical. The band of fabric connecting the body of the cover to the magnetic strip along the edge looks to be roughly 1mm narrower on the newer model, about what you'd expect of a cover designed for a thinner iPad. The newer cover is also noticeably lighter than the old one, though the difference is small enough that this could be due to variances in manufacturing rather than intentional design.

That said, the old and new covers still fit the Air 2 more or less identically. I'd even say the old cover fits better, in that it lays completely flat against the screen, while the new one raises up slightly at the first fold. Which is to say, don't hesitate to get the old cover if you prefer, e.g., true black to dark grey.

Zombiecrowd

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2013
I put both new and old covers on my food scale and they are within 1 gram. No possible way a human can tell a difference. They fit the same and look the same. It seems my iPad air 2 has stronger magnets. I returned the new cover because it's the same. I think a lot of people online were seeing a difference that isn't actually there, just in their minds.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I put both new and old covers on my food scale and they are within 1 gram. No possible way a human can tell a difference. They fit the same and look the same. It seems my iPad air 2 has stronger magnets. I returned the new cover because it's the same. I think a lot of people online were seeing a difference that isn't actually there, just in their minds.

I suspect they are both meant to weigh the same but the manufacturing process probably introduces very minor and negligible variations in weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.