What is the difference between these two products?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LARulz, Jan 4, 2011.

1. LARulz macrumors newbie

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I can't tell.. they look to be the same, other than color and one looks 'male' and one looks 'female'. But they both appear to be miniDVI -> HDMI, so male/female doesn't make sense.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Um.... one's black and one's white?

5. LARulz thread starter macrumors newbie

Good so it's not just me then, I was fairly confused for a while and considering how much I bothered the live help person I thought I don't want to look more stupid and just left it.

Also for those that have this, would still need a sound cable or would this be enough?

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Mini-DVI is just video so you'll still need an audio cable.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As others stated, the only differences is with the color. Same cable, just that one is white the other is black.

8. LARulz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, are there ones which have both?

As you can tell, I haven't even reached beginner level in terms of how to modify anything with regards to my mac.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mini-DVI cannot carry audio so no, there is not. An audio cable shouldn't cost more than few quids though.

10. LARulz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, duly noted. :)

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

For the audio part you need either a 3.5mm to RCA for analog audio or mini TOSLINK to TOSLINK for digital audio. Assuming your stereo or TV support TOSLINK.

Edit: I would try Amazon UK for these cables as the shipping to the UK through Monoprice is quite expensive.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sorry, stupid question here. Is the mToslink to Toslink all I need? No 3.5mm to Toslink or anything like that needed in between? Thinking about getting one for my MBA

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Everything I looked up seems to confirm this.

Even on the product description page.
    I also found the same type of cable on Amazon that says it is for the Macbook.

http://www.amazon.com/Toslink-Optical-Adapter-Cable-Macbook/dp/B0025W1FR8

Edit: Sorry I can't confirm this myself. My only computer connected to a stereo is via 3.5mm to RCA. All my surround sound needs are fulfilled by a regular TOSLINK from my HDTV to my surround sound system for Cable and Blu Ray.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Thanks for the info! Looks like it will work and even if it doesn't it will cost me only few euros. Still have to check are there any free Toslink ports in my (well, technically dad's :D) home theater or do I need to go for analog audio instead

15. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

It will work. That is how I have my older style mini hooked up to my home theater (mTOSLINK -> TOSLINK and mini DVI to HDMI).

GL

16. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Even if multiple are being used he may be using too many. Assuming he has an HDTV with optical/coaxial surround output and the only digital audio sources are also HDMI video sources. In which case all the devices should be connected by HDMI to the TV then only one digital audio connection to the stereo from the TV. This also makes everything simpler as you just change the input on the TV and the audio source to the stereo gets changed at the same time. Rather than switching both the TV and stereo.

That's what I love about digital connections is that you get no degradation of the signal. Allowing you to daisy chain connectors. Rather than sending the composite, s-video, and component video connectors to the TV and the RCA audio to the stereo.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's not like that. I would use HDMI but it goes to the projector which does not provide any sound. The sound is got from an amplifier which has like 400 ports in it so maybe there is one that works with MBA :p