Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Some cheaper iPads are still shipping with only 3GB of RAM well other more expensive iPads are shipping with 8GB of RAM. What is the difference of 3GB RAM vs 8GB of RAM or is it being held back by iPadOS limitations?

Some one said with 3GB of RAM you can only have 15 to 20 tabs open before it reloads, or only 4 to 5 light apps running in the background before the app reloads.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
With 3GB of RAM, you’d be lucky to have 15-20 tabs open.. Heck, even with 4GB.. the screen refreshes quite often with half those number of tabs open. Have YT or another app running in the background only makes it worse.

Now, 8GBs.. At least in my experience, is the sweet spot if you have numerous tabs open and multi-task. I’m sure certain use cases benefit from the 16GB iteration over 8.

Reactions: rui no onna

oasantos1

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2023
Orange County, CA
I can’t speak for a device with 3GB.

My mini 6 has 4 vs my Pro that has 8.

The mini definitely reloads pretty often. I don’t have more than 3 or 4 tabs and it reloads.
I usually have music playing in the background or a youtube video.

When I’m on a FaceTime call, and try to reply to a message or open up to safari to google something it will choke. I’ve had it slowdown to where it became unresponsive.

I can’t wait for an updated mini.

My M1 and now M4 no reloads, just buttery smooth. Mind you I don’t run super intensive apps. So others experiences will be different.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
The difference is 8GB will be great for years to come. 3GB iPads might be excluded from some OS updates, and will stop getting updates much sooner than the 8GB iPads will

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Some cheaper iPads are still shipping with only 3GB of RAM well other more expensive iPads are shipping with 8GB of RAM. What is the difference of 3GB RAM vs 8GB of RAM or is it being held back by iPadOS limitations?

Some one said with 3GB of RAM you can only have 15 to 20 tabs open before it reloads, or only 4 to 5 light apps running in the background before the app reloads.

With 3-4GB RAM, I’ve pretty much come to expect that my tabs or apps can reload or perhaps even crash at any time.

There are also apps, most notably games, that require higher end hardware (newer chipset, more RAM). Disney Dreamlight Valley Arcade Edition won’t on 3GB RAM devices despite App Store Information showing it’s compatible with the iPad 9th gen. Same goes for Divinity - Original Sin 2.

Some games are even more demanding and require A17 Pro/M1 + 8GB RAM minimum.

bryo

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2021
On the iPad 9 3gb was causing a lot of games to eventually crash. It’s not really sufficient.

Reactions: nitrobear

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I find my 3GB Air3 still very usable. Can hold it till M5 iPad is available.. maybe already end of the year? Those Safari reloading could be fixed with a swap file... Times of 16GB iPads a long gone.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I find my 3GB Air3 still very usable. Can hold it till M5 iPad is available.. maybe already end of the year? Those Safari reloading could be fixed with a swap file... Times of 16GB iPads a long gone.

Most of those 3GB RAM iPads likely have 32-64GB storage. That’s not enough for swap considering how bloated iOS and apps have gotten.

On the 32GB iPad 7, I had to offload pretty much all my apps (including Netflix, Disney+, etc) just so I can install iPadOS 17 betas. iPadOS+System Data uses 20GB by itself and it wanted 10+GB free to install the update. 🤦‍♀️

I kept my Air 3 on 14 so that one actually still works quite nicely. :p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.