What is the "E#8221" key?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by susieqk, Mar 2, 2015.

1. susieqk macrumors newbie

The E#8221 key was mentioned as part of a short cut on another forum. Is the "E#8221" key the same as the command key?
    Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

There's no such thing, as far as I know. There is, however, an ” that is HTML code for right double quotes. Perhaps you, or the one you are "quoting", has mistaken the "&" for an "E" (for lack of better context)?

3. susieqk thread starter macrumors newbie

the E#8221 key was taken from message about

I was on a page that was telling me how to make accented letters on a MacBook.
    For an acute accent (ie: é ): Hold dn the Opt + "E" key, release, then type letter to be accented

For a circumflex accent (ie: ê): Hold dn the Opt + "I" key, release, then type letter to be accented

The page said to create a grave accent, hold dn the Opt + "E#8221" key, release, then type letter to be accented.

this is why I am trying to figure out what the "E#8221" key is supposed to be.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Most likely the software behind the forum got upgraded and the new version didn't understand the special character used originally.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The key used to initiate the grave accent is the same key used for the ~, at least on a US keyboard. That's the key immediately to the left of the number 1 - usually directly above the tab key.

I think one issue with THAT key, is that it might appear in other locations.
    You can sort out where it will be on other keyboards with the Keyboard Viewer app, which is available through the Keyboard pref pane, at least in Yosemite.