Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I want to upgrade what previously was the fastest ATA IDE or PATA laptop hard drive in my PPC G4 Mac Mini 1.5ghz and my Powerbook 1.5ghz 12" -- both have the 100gb Hitachi Travelstar 7200rpm drives.

The 250GB Western Digital Scorpio 2.5" Laptop Hard Drive PATA IDE version has a seek time of 100 ms which is the same as the Travelstars, even though the Scorpio drives are 5400rpms vs the Hitachis' 7200rpms.

I think the much larger drives have bigger platters or something, which compensate for faster seek speeds, despite the slower rpms? Someone on MR once explained this.

Anyway, the 160gb 5400rpm laptop hard drives have a 11ms seek time, so they seem slower than the 250gbs.

I just want to maintain speed but bump storage with the new drive, especially in the Mac Mini. If not, I'm going to firewire a huge desktop drive and start using that as my start up drive on the mini.

Want to max out the PPC Mini experience. Any thoughts?

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Firewire a 10kRPM Raptor or two. ZOOOOOOOM!!! My friend had an old Ubuntu box with a 7200RPM disk, and when he stuck a Raptor in there, boot time was halved.

If you don't care about "mini-ness", then you should definitely do that. Speed will be awesome in there!

trule

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
I think you will find slower RPM = slower drive.

Use google, it took me 2 minutes to find the answer your question...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.