Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lip5016

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
What is the FASTEST Internet Browser for OSX? (2014 Edition)

I'm a tech junkie, I love everything about technology.. especially FAST and EFFICIENT technology..

I am currently using Google Chrome, and have nothing bad so say about it.. I like that I can "sign in" to Google Chrome pretty much anywhere (including my iPhone 5s), and instantly have access to all of my Bookmarks and Bookmark folders..

I have seen a bunch of benchmark tests testing a bunch of available internet browsers on OSX.. however, the results seem a bit inconclusive and varying, and some that even support the notion that Safari is now FASTER than Google Chrome.. I'm not sure whether or not to believe it, and I don't really have the time/energy to conduct a series of tests on my own..

What do you guys think? Is Google Chrome still considered the "fastest" when it comes to browsing/downloading?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
come on! someone has to have something to say about this?!
Wait a day or two, until after Yosemite comes out - then ask again. Then check out Safari 8 in its final form, so much faster than 7.1. Check out Opera 25, which came out today. Chrome's laggy compared to both IMO.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Benchmarks are deceiving. For example, Chromium always gets a lower overall score than Firefox on the http://www.speed-battle.com benchmark, but I have found that it's faster to load pages in real life on my machine.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Unless you like changing browsers frequently, pursuing some illusive answer to "efficiency", trying to identify "the fastest browser" is a fool's errand.

Wait a week or two, or a month or two, and things will likely be different. Then wait another week or month, and things will be different again.

Oh, and there's only a couple months plus a couple weeks left in 2014, so it's a bit late for a "2014 edition". I expect the One True Answer to change several times during 2015, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.