What is the fastest way to transfer files between 2 computers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TwitchOSX, Dec 1, 2011.

1. TwitchOSX macrumors 6502

Just found out there are no print drivers for our new Mac Pro for one of our high speed color copiers.

The workaround is to transfer the files over the network in PDF format to the computer rip that is hooked up to the copier and import the PDF files into the rip from there. But sometimes these files are HUGE. What is the fastest way to transfer the files from the new Mac to the PC rip? Right now we just have a standard ethernet network going on. Any other ideas?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Your best bet would be to upgrade to Gigabit Ethernet (probably requires a new switch). Can't say how much it would cost, since I don't know your setup. You can use FireWire, but it requires either setting up IP over Firewire (I've never done this), or putting one machine in Target Mode, which isn't a very good option generally.

jW

3. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502

We will be getting a new switch shortly. Need more ports as we are hooking up some more copiers and computers to the network. I'll be sure it's gigabit ethernet. Do we need new ethernet cables or do regular ones work? Not sure about that stuff.

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

I think you will need new cables, check out CAT5 or CAT6 cables (Google that?).
    I also think you will have to replace all your switches, mixing them may work, but it may also limit the speed of the LAN. I am not an expert in this area, by any means, so I suggest you ask around and find someone who has experience in this field, to get some solid advice.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's rare for cables to be anything less than Cat5 now anyways, which is the minimum required for Gigabit Ethernet. Worth checking to make sure, but I'd be surprised if they weren't already fine on that point.

Mixing switches is definitely something to consider. If it's small enough setup, though, and it sounds like it might be, I'd bet there only one switch, and then a router. The router is the other thing that may need to be checked, as all traffic will still be handled by it. If you've got a switch/router combo and are replacing it with a new Gigabit compatible one, then there's no issue, but if there's a separate router, it'll probably need to be upgraded too.

jW

6. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502

We do only have one switch. It's an 8 port but we will be buying a 16 port to replace it. The router is a 4 port router.... not sure on that. Might need to hire a networking person to come in and check this crap out. As for the cables.... this stuff is at least 10 years old in here... no clue if it's Cat5 or what.

7. lexvo macrumors 65816

8. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502