What is the globe icon

Discussion in 'iPad' started by corriewf, May 31, 2010.

1. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Just wondering what this globe icon is when I go to copy and paste. It looks very similar to the globe icon for an international keyboard but when I hit it, it just pops the selected text up in a blue box. What is the point of this feature?

2. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, here are some pics of what I am talking about. If I am asking a stupid question then ole well, I just want to know. Thanks.

Attached Files:

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I have never gotten that icon before. But I am interested in what app the web browser is.

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

5. Racer83l macrumors newbie

Mine doesn't do it either

6. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Huh, interesting. I don't know what I could have done to turn this "feature" on. It is in both safari and atomic web browser. Atomic browser is the best btw. The orange color is changeable to a bunch of different colors. It comes with black by default. :D Wonder if this globe function is some type of accessibility feature.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I went and check my atomic and didn't have it there, and couldn't find what it might be in accessibility either.

I'm perplexed! :confused:

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

9. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

No it's in safari as well. I also checked the Accessibility section and not there. I thought at first it was kind of cool dictionary type feature...... Not a pop up. :(

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It's something to do with international keyboards. I can see it on my keyboard as I type this.

11. mlad1101 macrumors regular

Not sure if this is of any help but I have that icon on my keyboard on my iPhone. I believe it has something to do with app for sending emoticons on my phone.

12. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's for emoji using the Japanese keyboard. Don't have any international keyboards enabled on my iPad and have rebooted as well. Still there.

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Are you jailbroken/did you jailbreak previously?

14. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but had it before the jailbreak.

15. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Do you have a jailbroken iPhone? Did you set up the iPad as new, or as a restore from an iphone backup?

16. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, have a jail broken phone as well. iPad was set up at apple store and backed up on computer at home. Thanks.

17. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You must have a different setting under International keyboards.

[​IMG]

18. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

All I have for keyboards is English. I did at one time have a Spanish one, but that was removed. I have rebooted, everything I can think of. I won't restore as it's just not big of a deal to me. Just thought it was interesting. Maybe it a bug if you add/remove a international keyboard. With that said, I still don't know why that would add a function to the select text options.