What is the iCloud Control Panel Garbage?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sunsetblow, Dec 5, 2013.

1. sunsetblow macrumors regular

sunsetblow

I have to install an application onto my PC at work now in order to access my iCloud account through my browser? I thought the whole damn point of iCloud was to be able to access it wherever and whenever.

This is balls. I don't have admin rights to the network here so now I can't use iCloud at all. :mad:

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Yes, and the only difference with the Mac is that it now comes already installed in your System Preferences. You just won't be able to use it at work unless IT installs it for you. Have you even thought to possibly ask them?

3. mpantone macrumors 6502

Your company provides your computer as a resource for you to do your job. It is not provided for your personal amusement, it's a tool.

You are not automatically entitled to admin privileges for a work computer.

If there is iCloud functionality that could help you do your job better that the IT department doesn't realize, you should bring light of this to them.

Many companies will give a certain amount of leniency to well-behaved, respectful, and trustworthy employees by authorizing installation of software that might be considered more personal of nature.

The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate to them why they should install the software.

If you can't, get back to work.

If you want a computer for your own personal amusement, buy your own computer.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

But - the OP recently bought an iPhone, which is the simpler way to access an existing iCloud account without needing the so-called "cooperation" of the IT crew. Yes, I know, they are there to "support" the business, but maybe I've heard too many anecdotes about that. Some of them are even funny, but not all.

5. mpantone macrumors 6502

Irrelevant.

He is trying to access iCloud on his work PC, not his personal iPhone.

And if the iPhone was a company-issued device, the IT department would be perfectly within their operational scope to employ certain restrictions.

Again, the point is that the OP is trying to do personal things with company resources. Now most companies are aware that there is some personal stuff going on company computers, whether it be YouTube watching, online shopping, Facebook browsing, etc. Some companies block entire domains, other companies will be more lenient.

The fact that the OP can't install the software of his choosing on his work PC isn't surprising.

If he wants a more lenient IT policy, he should find someone else to work for.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I was under the impression you could just access iCloud.com from any browser. What plug-in is it asking for?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, I though the control panel thing was just to enable syncing of e-mails, contacts, etc... to apps on the PC, and not needed for browser access.

I just tried on my PC that doesn't have iCloud control panel installed and was able to read my iCloud mail just fine.

OP what are you trying to do with iCloud?

B

8. mpantone, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

The iCloud control panel for Windows syncs mail, contacts, calendars, task lists, browser bookmarks, and provides some Photo Stream functionality.

Accessing iCloud.com via a web browser is not the issue here. The iCloud web browser interface doesn't provide much in the way of syncing support. It's mostly a viewer or a way to manually a small amount of data.

The OP wants more than a web-based viewer.

9. sunsetblow thread starter macrumors regular

sunsetblow

Why do you think you know what I want to use iCloud for and why do you think you can speak on my behalf? There's something wrong up in your head.

I want to use iCloud to access my Reminders and Calendars FOR WORK. Did it ever occur to you that people use Apple products FOR WORK?

Anyway, to all the non-psychotic people in the thread who were asking me what I want to use iCloud for:

I actually do just want a browser viewer type thing. I sometimes like to look at my iCal on a larger screen so I can sort things out more easily. Same with reminders and so on.

Now that I re-read the message, I can see that it says I need to setup iCloud on my home Macbook first (which I thought I already did...) and then I can access it from my work PC? Strange. I'll give it a shot...

10. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

I just logged into www.icloud.com just fine from my work PC, no plugin required.

I'm using Chrome for my browser.

11. r.harris1 macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

Many IT departments, and certainly true of the one at my current company, have been decimated by outsourcing to the lowest bidder and have neither the skill set nor the bandwidth to support anything beyond the pallets of Dell laptops running Windows 7 coming in the door. My company allows Macs but takes an act of the gods of your choosing to get one and once received, IT doesn't support beyond giving you a Parallels key and providing access to MS Office. Asking anyone to support iCloud would be way beyond the in-house folks, not because they're idiots but because they simply don't have the experience.

As a developer, I've never been in a situation where I've not had admin privs on any machine I've been given, but for me, the best policy for "personal stuff ... whether it be YouTube watching, online shopping, Facebook browsing, etc." is to use my own devices (iPad, etc). That way the company can pretend that because none of the personal stuff happens on their machines, it's not happening. For me, because there's a huge blurring of the lines between "personal" and "work" time, I can do the things I need or want to do at any time.

12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

No. Many workplaces including mine specifically allow the use of our work computers for occasional private stuff at work and always when on a business trip. That is quite reasonable. The only limitation is that for obvious reasons you are not allowed to install software and you have to adhere to company policy.
    Phrasing your response in a condescending, arrogant and clueless way does not change that.

13. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Incorrect. You can access iCloud on ANY compatible browser with no additional addon required. As stated by others, the control panel item for iCloud is to allow local sync of mail, contacts, calendars and photo stream should you require it.

14. sunsetblow thread starter macrumors regular

sunsetblow

I figured it out. I had to re-setup iCloud on my Macbook and now I can access iCloud from my browser at work.

I think this may have had something to do with the changed terms of service that must have reset all connections/permissions.

15. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

What a bizarre thread! Glad you got it worked out.

As you found out, the iCloud Control Panel isn't required to access icloud.com on your Windows computer.

Your IT folks could most likely block access to icloud.com if they so desired.