What is the iPhone 4's signal reception like?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Pagemakers, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I live in a marginal reception area for o2 (who doesn't!). My iphone 3G was far better than my 3GS at receiving the weak signal.

Can any iPhone 4 user confirm how reception performs compared to the 3GS.

2. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

3. nlr macrumors 6502

Everyone who has their iPhone now probably are in the US which means it will suck for them as they're on AT&T

4. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

can anybody confirm how the 4’s signal strength is compared to the 3gs?

Better, worse, same?

This is important to me when deciding on which UK operate to switch do since I have generally low reception in my area.

5. Mark Scheuern macrumors member

Unfortunately, it so far seems worse than either my first-gen iPhone or my wife's 3GS. I'm not talking about just the bar display but dropped calls. But it's early days and I'm going to test it much more today. (US, AT&T).

6. lapzan macrumors newbie

Signal strength not as good

Signal strength appears to be weaker. Performed a network reset and it seems to have helped a bit but my 3g was better. I'm in an area with a limited number of cell towers, on the edge of network coverage. Other than that, I like the phone. Since I mostly use it from my home, I might get the micro cell. Just wish ATT would give it away, since signal quality has gone down.

7. Paulsheffuk macrumors newbie

Weak signal

I am in the uk and can confirm minimal or no signal on my iPhone 4 when my partners 3G phone shows 4 bars (we are both on o2). I've heard rumours that the rubber bumpers may partially resolve this issue by insulating the metal strips around the iPhone. This is looking like a major flaw on the part of apple ni cant believe this wasn't addressed during devlopment and testing.

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

My office has bad weak AT&T coverage. With my 3GS i used to drop calls, and at times not have any reception.
    With iPhone 4, the past couple of days it's been MUCH BETTER. Except for the reception/antenna issue (only when cupped with my left hand), the iPhone 4 indeed has improved reception for AT&T.