What is the iPhone in competition with

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ert3, Jan 22, 2008.

?

What Kind of Phone is the iPhone?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2008.
  1. Smart Phone

33.3%
  2. Multimedia Phone

41.7%
  3. A better phone, phone

12.5%
  4. A new Class all its own phone

50.0%
  1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I recently went down to the verizon wireless store to have a chat with the sales atendies and try out a few verizon touch screen phones.

Having already tried the voyager i moved to the venus and found that yet again my extra 300 dollars was worth it.

I then mentioned that both the Voyager and the Venus are weak competitors to the iPhone and the sales clerk said that they aren't which got me to thinking.

Just what class of phone is the iPhone.

Its a bit of a smart phone with its full email client, high speed, web reader, and productivity document compatibility.

Its a hell of a music phone what with the packed in iPod and support for h.264.

And its all a great phone with the Visual Voice mail feature with puts it ahead of most other phones in any class.

So what is class of phone is it and is there any real competitions that is or is soon to be out. (Please vote and Post not just one or the other)

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Nothing compares to...

my iPhone! People stop me and ask all sorts of questions. I've filled up my three Home Screens with WebApps and non-iPhone owners are really impressed with the touchscreen and the speed while utilizing WiFi or EDGE! Beats my Moto KRZR and RAZOR hands down. I'm looking to buy another iPhone for the War Department---:cool:

3. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

I would say its a class all its own. Especially with February's SDK, it will become even more versatile. It competes with smartphones and media phones for sure, but it can't really be put in that box...

Its more like a handheld tablet that happens to have cell capabilities among other things.

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'd say a class of it's own. It just blends too many of the features that come in all of those classes, but also lacks some. For example:
    -It has a great email program and full HTML browsing but some would argue that the iPhone can't be a smartphone because it doesn't have corporate support.
    -It's a great multimedia phone with a built-in widescreen iPod but doesn't have MMS features.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93