what is the keychain password?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hatice, May 27, 2012.

1. hatice macrumors newbie

My e-mail keeps asking me the password of keychain. I tried every possible passwords but it still keeps asking. Finally I locked the keychain by mistake and now i can not unlock it either. anyone to save me?

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

The password to your keychain is almost certainly the same as your OS X login password unless you deliberately changed it to something else. If you have changed the password and are unable to remember what it is you can reset the keychain password (losing all stored passwords, certificates etc in the process) by going to Keychain Access > Preferences > General > Reset My Default Keychain. This will require your Mac OS X account details to reset, followed by a restart. Then you should be good to go with a blank new keychain.

3. hatice thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not change anything, and I do not know my OS X login password. I did not enter any password except the one I entered in the very beginning while I set up the mac-mail. What is the os x password?
    by the way, I also tried to reset the keychain password, but the window was opened and it says it needs my login password. What is my login password?

4. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

The password is what you set as your username password when you set up your computer. If you did not set a password it will be blank.
    If you need to reset your Mac OS X password, follow these instructions under the heading, "Resetting the original administrator account password".

5. hatice thread starter macrumors newbie

I changed the password for macair. It still asking the password while opening the first web page. Additionally, my mail is completely crashed. Mail keeps asking both keychain and mail passwords, and it does not accept any of my passwords.It is not sending even an empty message. Should I reinstall the program?

6. hatice thread starter macrumors newbie

or is it possible to trash the mail and set up again?

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you reset the keychain after resetting the administrator password, you'll simply have to re-enter your passwords for the various services and applications until they are all stored as part of the new keychain. Depending on the version of Mac OS X you have installed you may have gotten a message saying that they keychain could not be unlocked, with choices to update the password, ignore, or create a new keychain. Creating a new keychain is exactly the same as resetting the keychain. If you selected the update or ignore choices, that would explain why your passwords are unable to be saved.

8. hatice thread starter macrumors newbie

I managed to change the keychain password finally, thanks a lot everyone. However when I try to open the web page (just after turning the computer on) it asks for keychain password. I do not want that it asks it anytime. In keychain access, there is no check on "ask for keychain password" . how can i get rid of entering password?

9. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Ensure that in Keychain Access > Settings > First Aid the setting "Keep login keychain unlocked" is selected.

Then go to Keychain Access > login > ctrl click > Change settings for keychain "login"... > unselect the two lock options and click save.

10. hatice thread starter macrumors newbie

okey, I did what you suggested. It is asking it only in the beginning, for the first web page, but I can survive with it. However mail keep asking the password of mail account. I write, but it asks again and again. After 3-4 times it finally accepts the password and begin to receive e-mails. But is is not predictable that how many times it will ask the password, and mail is working very very slowly. what is your suggestions?
    thanks a lot