What is the latest Airport Extreme model

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by blgroup, Oct 28, 2009.

1. blgroup macrumors newbie

I am trying to buy an Airport Extreme Base Station, but I seem to be having a problem ordering the latest one.

In the Apple Canada Store the Airport Extreme is listed as Part Number MC340AM/A (and seems to never ship, though they are in-stock at the Retail Apple Store)

In the Apple US Store the Airport Extreme is listed as Part Number MC340LL/A (and it says shipping in 24 hrs)

Which one is the latest (released Oct 2009) version?

Thanks,
    Blair.

2. CTechKid macrumors regular

Pretty sure they're both the same unit. MC340 applies to the newly released unit, everything after that is either some kind of batch number or location made, etc. I can confirm that the new AEBS has a 7-10 day delivery delay in the Canadian store, while the US store is showing a 24 hour delay. Not sure why.

3. blgroup thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. If those letters are the location, then I guess AM is having supply problems. Good to know.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Just to confirm, AM and LL are the country codes. AM is Canada, LL is the US. Other countries have different codes.

Personally, I'd much rather go to the retail store, so you may want to do that instead if it's taking so long to ship. And you don't have to wait for shipping times.

5. blgroup thread starter macrumors newbie

Alot of the items (such as the Mini, iMac) in the Canada store are listed as LL which is one of the things that confused me. Only the airport stuff had the AM and the long shipping times. I thought they were maybe getting rid of old stock or having radio licensing problems. My Bad.

6. Iamwatson macrumors newbie

Why the AEBS has country codes

I believe the Airport Extreme Base Station has a different code because there are different regulations for radio devices. The airport being a strictly communications device. The macs are the same for both countries but I bet the built in radios i.e Airport card & Bluetooth are different. In the US there is the FCC which I imagine doesn't oversee Canada. That's probably where the confusion is coming from. I'm just guessing though.