What is the latest you have stayed up till?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hbk48942, Feb 4, 2015.

1. hbk48942 macrumors newbie

on a normal day

for me about 5am watching a WWF ppv about 14 years ago now.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm just curious what the point of all these threads are...

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Did a week awake. Was seeing stuff towards the end. Never again.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The longest I've gone without sleep has been 3 days.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, this has been my - perhaps - somewhat uncharitable thought, too.

To the OP: A small question - and I ask this - not out of a desire to be - er,difficult, or obstreperous - but, what exactly do you mean by this thread?

I am a night owl by preference, and by temperament. I used to pull all-nighters quite regularly, in the days I thought I was immortal; I still pull them, but take a bit longer to recover the next day…….

So, pray tell me, do, please put me out of my misery, what exactly do you mean when you ask "What is the latest you have stayed up till?"

And, while we are on this topic, what is your own very, very latest? As one of life's night owls, I will confess to a slight curiosity on this matter……

Five a.m…..? Did you never worship the dawning light as that orb which guides and nourishes our life crawled over the lip of a hill and spread light on an early (very early) summer dawn? I did (granted, I was less than sober at the time, but I do recall greeting a dawning sun in June in northern Europe with due reverence….)

6. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

probably around 4. With a friend playing games.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I will probably not be staying up even this late once the OP has posted enough threads to make it into PRSI.

Meanwhile the latest I stayed up was probably when I got up one Thursday morning at 7am, went to the place where I was working, started a special project required by the courts to be done by the following Monday, stayed on the job until Saturday around 5pm when I finished (writing, compiling, testing 26 programs, running them and boxing up the results) then went home, ate supper, and decided to take a little nap around 7pm. I woke up sometime Sunday morning very confused about why it was getting lighter out insstead of darker. I had no idea at first that I had slept halfway around the clock. I was completely worthless for the rest of that Sunday; my brain was still buzzed from being awake for three days even after sleeping so long afterwards. I never did that to myself again!

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

The most I've done is probably 48 hours without sleep. Not enjoyable by any means.

9. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I know the sort of situation you have just described.

Running elections, and supervising, or monitoring, or observing (your precise mandate differs depending on the country, the security situation and the context) the electoral process and the count - and re-counts - has meant that on occasion, I have gone the best part of two days and two nights without sleep. Exhausting, and one that requires you to be alert, capable, and capable of fairness, and good judgement over a sleep-deprived sustained period of time.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

16 threads, 16 posts. He hasn't replied to any of them. What's up with all of the threads?

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4 days. Probably due to a cocaine binge I was on at the time. Started 16 threads at MacRumors in one night. Crazy times.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm starting to wonder if he's a spammer that has gotten smart and is going to post enough threads to go up a rank or two before actually starting to spam in the hopes that he can get away with more when he starts.

14. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

How old were you at that time?

15. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I once stayed up for about 36 hours in high school, because I was dumb.

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I did 38 hours once on a school trip because I couldn't sleep on the bus no matter how hard I tried. The most I have ever stayed on on a normal school day was to 6:30 AM... Then I woke up at 7:00 AM. Damn did that suck.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Hm. I have wondered about that, too, all these odd threads, and I also wonder about the fact that he hasn't come back to any of the threads that he has started.

Usually, when you start a thread, there is an assumption that you have - at the very least - some sort of an interest in the topic, which would seem to suggest that you would drop by if only to see what people have said when they replied to you. Or, if interest in your own threads is lacking, perhaps manners, mere courtesy, in the form of thanking those who have posted would strike me as appropriate.

Should this be reported, or do you guys smell serious potential spam, here?

18. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

It seems like a pretty common “trying too hard” approach on message boards:

Join and make no posts into any of the namesake topics of the board (i.e., Apple/Mac threads)

Create a ton of new threads in the community (or equivalent) section, usually asking simple questions meant to generate some casual interaction

Disappear after a few months when the responses finally dry up and new threads are ghost towns ...

I don’t mean to be _mean_, but this is a case where less-is-more. :) Why not ease into some existing threads, make some positive contributions, get a feel for the place, the personalities, etc.

They indicated they were “starting high school” 10 years ago, posted a pic, looked like maybe 7th graders[?] So 12-13, 10 years ago, 22-23, minus the latest being “14 years ago” - so 8 or 9? Hmmm ....

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think he's breaking any rules yet. After thinking about it I did go and report it just so the mods can keep an eye on it.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As did I, - admittedly, with some reservations for the precise reason you stated. However, my reasons for reporting this are - also - exactly the same reasons as yours.

21. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

It was sex, drugs, and rock "n" roll days in my younger years when I could stay up for 2 days straight back in the 70's. Today I'm lucky if I can stay up past 1am.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Interesting, although looking through those links makes it look like he more is just a random person who has odd thread posting habits rather than someone trying to establish enough of a profile to scam someone or hope to be able to get away with more spam than a newbie that just joined could.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very, very odd thread posting habits, in both the topics chosen and the fact that he hasn't yet returned to one of them to make a further post.

Thank you, heehee, for digging these links up and for taking the trouble to post them here. The whole thing just gets more curious by the day.

Have you seen his (and here, I am pretty certain that we are talking about a 'his' not a 'hers') latest one?