What is the lifespan of Ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fredo C, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Fredo C macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

By lifespan I mean how long will it be able to run the latest version of iOS? I figure it has to be at least the same as the iPhone 4S since they have the same CPU, GPU, and RAM, and the 4S has a lower clock speed.

Assuming Apple continues offering 3 iPhones, the 4S should be around a while. This fall it will be the "middle" phone, and next yr (fall 2013) the "bottom" phone. If that's the case it should be able to run iOS 7 until iOS 8 comes out (assuming fall 2014).

Just trying to figure out what the lifespan would be since I'm thinking of buying a refurb iPad 2. I think from now it's about 2.5 yrs. Would appreciate any thoughts though.

2. biohead macrumors 6502

Judging that the 3GS is still being supported in iOS (I'd expect that to be dropped this year), and that the iPad 1 is akin to the iPhone 4 (and possibly dropped together with iOS7 or 8), I'd say around 2015 for the iPad 2 - give or take a year either side.

3. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Well depends on how IOS develops. If IOS doesnt require big leaps in CPU then it should last as long as the iPad 3 since they have the same CPU and since Pad3 has just been released iPad 2 should have a longer life than iPad 3 in total. If IOS starts requiring more RAM then that might be the limiting factor. Since iPad 3 has 1GB + Retina, that might form the basis of say IOS8.

Anyway what does it matter? IOS hasnt delivered any thing major for quite a while. If the iPad 2 does what you need then it should last as long as you want it to.

4. Fredo C thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

Thanks. I just don't want to buy one now and soon after not it's not able to run iOS smoothly or run the latest apps. I think I have some time though.

If I can get at least 2 1/2 yrs out of a $349 16gb wifi refurb that's not too bad in today's technology world.