What is the lightning to 30 pin adapter used for ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Rad-o, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Rad-o macrumors member

I am realy confused ! Does it mean that i need an adapter to connect it to my computer so that it will sync ? And the cable that comes with the ipod touch 5 cant sync ?

Can i connect the lightning to a wall charger that i use to charge my ipod 4 ?
    :/

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uhhh...

No, it's so you can connect your older, dock-connector accessories to the iPhone 5.

Cables, docks, iHomes, car stereos, etc.

iPhone 5 comes with a lightning to usb cable and a wall power adapter.

No, why would you need a lightning cord for your iPod 4?

3. MicroByte macrumors 6502

The new Lightning connector is a new connector type for the new iPod Touch 5 as well as iPhone 5.

The old, wide connectors will not be used with the new iPod Touch without an adapter. The iPod Touch 5 will come with a lightning cable which you will use to charge as well as sync the device to a computer with.

Here are shots of the old vs new connector type so you see the difference.

Old Wide Connector
    [​IMG]

Lightning Connector
    [​IMG]

4. Rad-o thread starter macrumors member

You got me wrong . I have a wall charger . So can i connect the lightning to it and charge the ipod 5 ?

----------

So the adapter is needed for people who want to use the old cable instead of the lightning ?

5. Luckybobby macrumors regular

I think the other guys summed it up pretty well, but if you still don't get it.
    The lightning cord is pretty much the same thing, the only thing different is the part that plugs into your iPod :)
    That means the adapter is for people who want to use the old cord.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes!

Yes, the adapter is for people that want to be able to use the old-style cable (and the many things based on that connection) instead of having to buy all new stuff.

Yes, previous iPod chargers work just fine with the lightning cord. Save for the different plug in on the phone itself, it essentially works the same way.

I charged my wife's iPhone 5 with a lightning cable (new) and my iPhone 4S charger (old, obviously) just last night.

We're buying an adapter so we can use all of our old cords, too.

7. Rad-o thread starter macrumors member

Now i get it . Thanks guys ! I thought the adapter is needed to do some things the lightning cant :p

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope!

Nope, not at all.

You're good!