Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alec6542

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Hi guys,

So I had my laptop in my backpack, and although I am always careful, I must have been too rough when I put the bag down because when I opened my laptop I saw in horror that the screen is damaged:

macbook.jpg

What do you guys think the likely problem is? What will need to be replaced, and how much can I expect to pay for it?

Thanks for any help!

Alec

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's hard to see from the screenshot...Are there any obvious cracks in the screen? I can't see any, but that shot isn't clear enough to really tell.

A new screen is going to cost...Apple is the place to take it. It's also possible that you have a Logic Board issue. The only way to get a definite is to take it in....When you get a price you can decide if it's economic to repair.

alec6542

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
There is no cracking in the screen. In fact there is no visible damage anywhere. At first the screen was black although it was lit (like a tv that's turned out with no input), then after trying to turn it on and off a few times it started doing this. Everything else in the computer is fine. I hooked up another via HDMI and everything seems to be working just fine, the only problem is the screen.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm assuming that shape in the background is your wallpaper?

If so it's possible only the cable's gone loose or got damage in use. Cables sometimes break, so it's not always your fault. I'd take it to the store if you can, or give Apple a call. If you're in warranty/AppleCare, I expect you to pay nothing.

If you're out of warranty, they may still fix it for free if it's just a cable issue (or they'll just charge for a cable). Worse case they will say you need a new LCD which then makes it around $300-$600 depending on what they think needs replacing.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
There is no cracking in the screen. In fact there is no visible damage anywhere. At first the screen was black although it was lit (like a tv that's turned out with no input), then after trying to turn it on and off a few times it started doing this. Everything else in the computer is fine. I hooked up another via HDMI and everything seems to be working just fine, the only problem is the screen.

That narrows it down a little...Assuming the screen is okay, we are down to a loose cable as posted above, or (hope not) a Logic Board issue. Since you say you were a little rough putting in your backpack, lets hope it's just a connector thats come loose...Fingers crossed, take it in..:)

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
If there's no sign of damage, there's no way of knowing whether you caused this, whether they suspect you caused it or not. If you're under warranty, and there is no sign of user-inflicted damage, there's no way you should have to pay to fix it.

If they tell you that you caused it, tell them to show you how they know.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
From what I can see its possibly the GPU or the cable connecting the GPU to the screen. The latter may be relatively inexpensive, the former will run you a lot of money since you'll need a new logic board.

We really don't know, and the only folks who can give you a precise estimate is Apple. Bring it in and they'll let you know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.