Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Ok... I'm looking for the Mac equivalent of this procedure in Windows...

Start--> Control Panel--->Administrative Tools--->Services

It shows me all the processes that are going on and I can activate certain things to run from that point.

What is the equivalent procedure on OSX? Is it Activity Monitor in Utilities?

I have a professor on campus that needs to use Smartboard software. I had installed the program and it didn't work and reported the same error when i install it in Windows. In Windows, going to the Services and enabling the software there works. I'm not sure how it works on Mac...so if anyone knows the equivalent of Services on Mac...please let me know. Thanks!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Yep, you can't find Windows Services because the Mac doesn't do Windows Services :D

In general, the equivalent thing under OS X is Startup Items, and on-the-fly configuration is done through the System Preferences. Fortunately, SMART Board software falls into that category. (If you are having problems with that, the server program is /Applications/SMART Board Software/SMARTBoardService -- you can see in Activity Monitor if it is running.)

[Edit: Okay, I see that this particular software hitches itself in at the login window, that's okay, what you can do is about the same. ]

First, if you are not getting the SMART Board Tools program (the Start Center toolbar) opening at login, that's a leftover from install time (the installer asks if that should start). That problem is easily fixed. The program is under Applications/SMART Board Software and named SMART Board Tools. Simply double-click to open like any old program. To make it open at login from now on, Ctrl-click on its dock icon and pickthe obvious from the little menu.

If, instead, you are having trouble with the server end, look in System Preferences, near the bottom of the icon list, for Smart Board. Poke the Configure button that appears, and all the connection settings are in there to play with. There you will be able to see if the boards are showing up and so on.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
The closest thing I can think of is going to System Profiler, go down to Software and you can view some of the service like things that are available and are active.

However to change the setting and turn them on or off is way beyond me.

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
As has already been said, Activity Monitor is equivalent to Windows Task Manager in that they both show the running processes on the system.

The services tool in Windows does not show running processes per se. It simply lists the services (special background processes) that are available on the system and if they're running or not.

OS X has slightly different services available and things like Samba (Windows file sharing daemon) and Apache run as a "service" on OS X.

You can list the available services and start/stop them by typing this in a Terminal window:

Code:
service --list

To get more information just type "man service"

Ross Henderson

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
In Tiger, launchd controls most services. They can be manipulated using launchctl from the command line or Lingon. I don't have windows installed so I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.