what is the major differences between Tiger and Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ph7ryan, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ph7ryan macrumors newbie

I am new to a mac, and I just bought a used ibook g4....It has 512MB of Ram, a 40 GB HDD and a 1.33 GHz processor...I was talking to a friend and was told that my currently installed Tiger was too old, and that I should upgrade to Leopard. If cost was no issue, would I see improvement. I am content with Tiger right now, and do not want my system to slow down at all...Basically is it worth it to upgrade to Leopard...

Thanks for any help!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/
    Consider upgrading the RAM to 1 GB, and you'll probably want to customize the install so you don't take up 25% of your hard drive space on the OS alone.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would search the MacBook, iBook forum for people who have already upgraded their iBooks to Leopard. Some found it faster while others did not.

4. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I upgraded the same spec iBook about 3 weeks ago. It runs pretty good, haven't noticed anything really annoying yet.

One drawback is iTunes sometimes lags, but tbh I think that's more iTunes than anything else, and the extra features in iPhoto '09 (faces and places) slow it down compared to iPhoto '08, but only when using those features.

I'd recommend 1.5GB of RAM though, only costs £30 and there's no point not doing it. I upgraded because I was starting to notice a lot of Leopard only software and for the ability to remove/add partitions, boot off a usb external HD (previously ppc's could only boot off firewire drives) and for Time Machine.

My favourite thing since I've upgraded is how much quicker my external hard drives mount, not exactly the greatest feature but it's the one big improvement I really like in my everyday computing. I wouldn't say Tiger's too old though (I clearly haven't noticed any earth shattering improvements in Leopard), max out your computer's RAM and it'll fly with Tiger.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: differences

RE:
    "I just bought a used ibook g4....It has 512MB of Ram, a 40 GB HDD and a 1.33 GHz processor...I was talking to a friend and was told that my currently installed Tiger was too old, and that I should upgrade to Leopard"

I disagree.

Tiger probably runs just fine on the older iBook. I'm thinking that Leopard would tend to "bog it down" a bit.

So... unless there is something you really, REALLY need with Leopard, why not just stay with 10.4.11 for the time being? Even Safari 3.2.1 runs on it.

- John

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I have Leopard on my 1.33GHz iBook 12". Compared to Tiger it runs about the same. But unless you know the difference between the two you really are not missing much. I say save your cash.