What is the mass opinion about 10.4.11 and leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anim8or, Oct 25, 2007.

1. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I was just thinking....

If I decide to just use the upgrade option for leopard when i buy it should i wait and install 10.4.11 then upgrade or should i just do it and be done!?

2. reflex macrumors 6502a

I don't see any reason to wait for 10.4.11 if you're going to use 10.5.

3. anim8or thread starter macrumors 65816

anim8or

I know where you are coming form i am fairly versed in all this its just a fair point for discussion i think...

If there are still some bugs in 10.4.10 then surely it would make sense to iron out these bugs before upgrading to 10.5.....

I know that the new OS will overwrite files and change this and that but who is to say that some components or files dont remain the same?

Anyway thanks for your input....

4. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I makes absolutely no difference. The upgrade replaces the core OS, so you can upgrade from 10.4.1 or 10.4.11 and it would end up the same, as all the operating system files from Tiger are replaced.

5. bubblegum80 macrumors member

I really recommend doing a fresh install with any new OS.

6. DoreanGrae macrumors regular

Yeah I don't see how it's going to make a difference either way. Your Tiger OS files are going to be over-written by the Leopard ones anyway.

7. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I've been doing upgrades for the last 4 years (Jaguar->Panther-Tiger so far), and I've never had an issue. I have one machine that by the end of next week will have started off as Jaguar and ended up Leopard, and I expect no problems.

Archive and Install if you're worried. Doing a fresh install is too much hassle for me because I have so much stuff on my computer I can't just wipe it off to upgrade an OS.

I can't help but feel all the people who are "really recommending a wipe and fresh install" are coming from years of dealing with Windows.

8. bubblegum80 macrumors member

I guess you will be shocked to know that I restore my system every 6 months. :)

I haven't used Windows in a long time, but I'm having really bad experiences with Mac recently, especially with Japanese input, and sending emails.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not too shocked. OCD is real. :D

10.5 is not a fragile wedgewood plate and it's not dependent on 10.4.11 or any other OS. Apple designs software easy enough for noobs to install so just relax. Put the DVD in and press Install and let it to its magic. :)