What is the Matrox MXO2 Mini?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Cagle, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Cagle macrumors regular

While looking for a 'cheap' monitor for final cut output, I saw the Matrox MXO2 Mini beng mentioned a number of times, but I’m still a little confused as to what it does.

Am I right in thinking I can ditch my Canopus analogue to digital convertor and my Hauppauge HDPVR if I get one? If so, how does it connect to a desktop?

Also, can I monitor final cut output via the Matrox and a bog standard LCD TV?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Key features

- Works with Mac and PC, laptops and desktops
    - Small, lightweight, external box that's easily connected to your cameras and monitors
    - Capture high definition video via HDMI and analog component; or NTSC and PAL via analog component, S-Video, and composite
    - Playback high definition video via HDMI and analog component; NTSC and PAL via HDMI and analog component or HDMI and SVideo and composite
    - Output HD and SD video simultaneously
    - Turns your HDMI screen into a professional-grade video monitor with color calibration tools including blue-only
    - High-quality 10-bit hardware scaling engine for realtime upscaling, downscaling, and cross conversion on capture and playback (See Specifications section for scaling features supported on Mac and PC)
    - Stereo RCA and up to 8 channels of HDMI audio input and output
    - 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound monitoring on the HDMI output
    - Easily edit AVCHD footage by capturing into an edit-friendly compressed or uncompressed format
    - Works with your favorite applications including Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, and more
    - Also available with Matrox MAX for faster than realtime H.264 encoding
    - Three-year hardware warranty and complimentary telephone support

Do you wanna know the funny part?

I don't know these key features by heart, they (Matrox) have some obscure 6u presentation, which is only known to insiders.
    Sp please don't spread the link.

3. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

It's an I/O — the gateway to getting video and audio in and out of your computer. It offers input and output options and control beyond the DVI, 3.5mm jack and USB you already have.

In the olden days, I/Os were used to capture video from professional tape decks. Now they're used as much to get a proper video feed when grading in Final Cut or Color. The MXO2 Mini is a prime example of this shift as it doesn't have the connections to hook up to a professional tape deck. But it has HDMI and Component, so high-end consumer is catered for.

You could ditch the Canopus, but you might want to keep the PVR. The MXO doesn't have a TV tuner, and I'd imagine it'd be a bit of a hassle to attempt to use your computer and the MXO in its place if you do a decent amount of recording.

You need a Mac Pro with PCI-E or MacBook Pro with an ExpressCard/34 slot to connect it.