What is the max range distance between watch and phone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BigCuz, Apr 29, 2015.

1. BigCuz macrumors newbie

like how far apart can you be away from your phone with the apple watch in order to still get notifications and stuff?

2. Command macrumors regular

Command

About 33feet. It uses Bluetooth.
    Edit - when you're on the same WiFi (i.e.; at home) this limitation is not in place. You just have to be in proximity of the WiFi)

3. Ocean1286 macrumors newbie

I was hoping it would be a little further but in reality its about 30ft. If there's a wall between you and the phone the range is obviously reduced.

4. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Doesn't it also clone your wifi connection and access your phone via wifi when its out of BT range as long as the phone and watch are on the same network?

5. Ocean1286 macrumors newbie

correct

6. Sport73 macrumors member

Sport73

Has anyone found this to be reliable? My experience was that when greater than 40 ft from the phone, but still well within WiFi, Siri reliability dropped dramatically, and I was unable to open apps.

7. iMacRW macrumors member

iMacRW

Yes, I have the same issue. Contacted Apple and the rep didn't know that the watch can connect through WiFi. Apple get your phone reps educated please!

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'd like to say with wifi off its 30ft on bt but I've found it to be greater. With wifi and clear line of sight the range is great.

9. bh85, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015

bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

Range is not that good to be honest here. When I'm at home and if i go outside on my deck (less than 30 feet), opening apps doesn't work and sometimes it shows me that its not connected to my phone. No brick walls or anything that would obstruct signal. At my work its the same. When I leave my office (less than 30 feet), it would show me disconnected. Same again. No major obstruction. I'm disappointed with range.

10. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I hadn't really been paying attention to this, until the other day when I'd left my phone upstairs in the office and I was sitting in the garden. Well outside 40 feet and noticed my watch was still working. Tried it a few times since then and it's been the same.

It was the first wow moment I've had for a wee while with the watch. Now that I've had it a while it's just part of my daily life. Goes to show it can still impress, even months later. Well, if your easily pleased :D