What is the maximum these photos can be printed at

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by waloshin, Oct 4, 2010.

1. GoCubsGo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What's the DPI? I mean in theory at 150 DPI you can get something like 20x13".

Just divide your dimension by 300 (optimal) but if you want bigger then do what I did above.

2. Blue Velvet
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

Some would say roughly 10" x 6.5" at 300ppi. You might be able to take them up to 12" x 8" with a little sharpening on them. Any higher and they could start to look a little soft... not so much a problem if they're going on a wall where you'll see them from further away.

3. El Cabong
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

4. Designer Dale
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This is about the same pixel dimensions. I can go to ~ 8x10 at a good print dpi. It would print larger at 150 dpi. That's newspaper quality. I have about 19 MB to work with.

Dale

Attached Files:

5. toxic
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

optimum print resolution is more than simply pixels and ppi, it has to do with the total resolution of the lens/sensor combo in line pairs per mm, which factors in the f-stop and sensor size, but only tells you a best-case scenario since it doesn't account for camera shake.

...but I doubt you're making a fine art or competition print, so print at whatever size you like. small ppi count will be masked by a longer viewing distance anyway.

tip: don't center the subject unless there's a good reason to.

6. Matty-p
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Orange San Francisco Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

i wouldnt go any bigger than a3 unless the viewer will be far awsy from it

7. Designer Dale
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Which leads to the question...

OP: How are you going to use the print? Framed on your wall? Taped to the inside of a window for Halloween? It really makes a difference in determining how big the print can be.

Dale