What is the Maximum wi-fi password length

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BAmack, Jul 31, 2008.

1. BAmack macrumors newbie

I have a new iPhone 3G. I want to connect to the wi-fi network in my office. The password is 26 characters, alpha and numeric. I use this connection with my laptop often, so I know if works. When I enter it into the password box, the iPhone just reprompts me. The response is so quick it makes me think it didn't validate against the wireless router. I was wondering if there's a maximum to the password length. Any ideas?

Thanks
    BA

2. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

Mines pretty long on my router probably about the same length. It goes fine with my iPod Touch. Maybe you are entering a wrong letter (O instead of 0(Zero)). Just a possibility?

3. BAmack thread starter macrumors newbie

I had the Network Engineer cut and paste the password in an email to me. The characters range from zero (0) thru E.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I just tried a test password in my iPhone and I got up to 30 characters so I don't think it's a character limit that you're having a problem with. From your description your IT guy gave you a hexcode password. I remember reading about hex key's in the older iPhones where the advice was to put a dollar sign ($) in front of the hex key to get it to work... don't know if that will work with a 2.0 iPhone, but it's worth a shot.

5. BAmack thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Hmm, did a little digging and I found a post that might work (but the thread is a year old):
    It looks like our very own MacRumors god did the same thing!

7. BAmack thread starter macrumors newbie

:confused:
    Thanks for doing the extra digging. I don't think those posts will work on a 3G. When the "Select a Wi-Fi Network" window pops up, it shows the name, a lock icon and broadcast (radio) icon. I tap on the network name I get a second window "Enter passowrd for "CompanyFireWall". The window has a text input box, a Cancel Button and a Join button. If I eneter the entire 26 character string and tap Join, the window pops right back up without authenticating the password. :(