Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
Its been mentioned a few times that Safari will take up any available RAM and release it when another programme requires it.

Don't worry about it.

OK I see your point, but the point which I might have forgot to mention is that Safari never actually delivers the webcontent of whichever script/pop-over/pop-under is trying to steal all my memory! My banking website just thrashes Safari, and no matter how long I leave it it never delivers the content, whilst my Mac mini slows to a crawl. Trying instead the mega-privacy compromising Chrome browser and the page is rendered in microseconds!

I've tried to analyse the page and see what is broken in Safari (It happened in previous Safari's but I'm now testing Version 6.0.3 (8536.28.4)) unfortunately my diagnostic tools & skills haven't yet got me anywhere near the script/secure-element that really does hard consume all available RAM

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
One huge advantage that Safari has is the ClicktoFlash extension. Pure gold. Unfortunately Safari has dropped RSS support, whilst Chrome has the useful RSS Feed Reader extension.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.